which motor should I use?

Q_ball

Seaman
I have two old Chryslers and wanted to get some thoughts on which would be better to have. both have damage to the lower units but between the two I'll have one good leg.
1966 50hp mn 50671 w/ alternator
1969 45hp mn 4555 w/ magneto

Also the shaft lengths are 17" and 22" and can make either motor what I want but I don't know what size i should make my transom. the PO used a saws all to cut the transom and splashwell down so it all is being redone. 15", 20" are the common(from what iv'e read) but hhow high should I run the AV plate above or below the hull. (14' tri-hull flat bottom rear)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: which motor should I use?

not really much difference. However: whichever one you do use, swap the alternator igniton into it. Magneto ignition will not charge the battery. It gets really old, really fast when you need to recharge the battery at home after running all day

Q_ball

Seaman
Re: which motor should I use?

I would have found out about the charging problem sooner or later, most likely alot later. Thanks for saving me time.

What did the change from the 45 to the 50? piston, stroke, head, tunning, the manual shows the same parts for 45-55 and they look identacle from the outside.