Permalube Gimbal brg?

liquidlew

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just got a Merc OEM transom seal kit, opened up the box to look at the new gimbal bearing, started turning the tolerance ring to find the grease hole, must've turned that ring all the way around at least 5 times, NO HOLE!:eek: Figured I better read the enclosed sheet before panic set in. Well, it's a new PERMALUBE bearing, no grease hole, and also comes with a plug to close off the zerk fitting on side of gimbal housing. This is my first bearing change so I was not expecting this after studying the manual and reading posts. Is this cool or what?

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: Premalube Gimbal brg?

I prefer bearings and u-joints I can lube. That said, with the poor maintaince most boats get its probably just as well. 'nutcase

liquidlew

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good point. Any guess how long this new Permalube bearing will last? Suppose it depends on your alignment and how long the bellows last.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I hate 'em, just because I like Grease,....:D

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Good point. Any guess how long this new Permalube bearing will last?

They will last till they fail.

liquidlew

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, well, I suppose it will be an even bigger headache to send it back and ask for a different one so I'm gonna give it a shot. I don't suppose it will hurt to not 86 the zerk fitting, in case I decide next time to go back to a grease it yourself bearing? I just figured this is a new and improved bearing from Merc, have these been around for awhile? Maybe it's me, I don't get out much...

ziggy

Admiral

the way i get it is that the new style perma lube gimble brg supersedes the greaseable version. hope i don't get it cause i'd rather have the greaseable version too. but think they're going nla....

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Bondo said:
Ayuh,... I hate 'em, just because I like Grease,....

Haha... That comment is so you!

fishinpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh yeah the way of the future! lol

im with the others -Nothing like gettin in there and Manually greasin .

have seen way to many of these new super bearings in the Automotive ,ATV and other equipment .
Im with the old schoolers if you grease it yourself and do your maintenance it always seems to Last Longer .

Just have to remember we are in a throw away kinda world these day !

fish

Fun Times

Staff member

the way i get it is that the new style perma lube gimble brg supersedes the greaseable version. hope i don't get it cause i'd rather have the greaseable version too. but think they're going nla....
You are correct, Here is some general information about it.

Service Bulletin
Bulletin No. 2009-13
New Perma‑Lube Gimbal Bearing for Alpha and Bravo Transoms.
MerCruiser Transom assemblies with the serial numbers listed are produced with perma‑lube gimbal bearings.
Models Covered Serial Number Range
Alpha transom 1A180260 and above
Bravo transom 1A429507 and above
Sea Core transom 1A433306 and above
Vazer transom 0W755000 and above
Situation
MerCruiser transom assemblies are now equipped with a sealed, permanently lubricated (perma‑lube) gimbal bearing that does
not require maintenance lubrication. Current production transoms use the perma‑lube gimbal bearing and do not require the grease
fitting on the gimbal housing or the grease retention seal in front of the gimbal bearing. The specified perma‑lube gimbal bearing
is the replacement gimbal bearing type for all transoms. Replacement perma‑lube gimbal bearings come with a special plug to
replace the grease fitting. When replacing a lube‑style gimbal bearing with a perma‑lube bearing, it is necessary to remove the
grease fitting from the transom and install the special plug.

liquidlew

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Permalube Gimbal brg?

Thanks Boat Tech for posting that bulletin, I was starting to feel like an outcast. So these are the (MERC) bearings of the future and the old style gonna be phased out? And what would happen if I left the zerk fitting in? In case I go aftermarket next time and get a regular greasable bearing I would have to reinstall the zerk. Can't see the harm in leaving it in, unless someone else besides me decides to pump grease into the fitting and it's got nowhere to go! Hmmm, maybe I better remove it...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

[size=+2]You bunch of girls!!![/size]

I guess you said the same thing when colour TV was introduced! "I like my old round tube black and white".. (with no remotes).... I bet every last one of you has a nice new COLOUR with remote everything!

For god sake, grow up! Merc have been using perma-lube unis for years, and I don't hear any of you b!tching about that!!! This is a good thing, except it puts The Bondo-o Grease Company out of business... :D.

The idea that I don't have to remember to get my little grease gun, and have the right grease in it, and fill the damn thing up every single time I use it!!! delights me no end.... I may replace my current bearing with one of these new ones just so I have it in there.

Permalube gimbal bearing...... [size=+2]YIPPEEEEEE...[/SIZE]

Chris......
[size=-4](As he dons a hardhat)[/size]

Fun Times

Staff member

I guess you said the same thing when colour TV was introduced! "I like my old round tube black and white".. (with no remotes).... I bet every last one of you has a nice new COLOUR with remote everything!

For god sake, grow up! Merc have been using perma-lube unis for years, and I don't hear any of you b!tching about that!!! This is a good thing, except it puts The Bondo-o Grease Company out of business... :D.

The idea that I don't have to remember to get my little grease gun, and have the right grease in it, and fill the damn thing up every single time I use it!!! delights me no end.... I may replace my current bearing with one of these new ones just so I have it in there.

Chris......
:D Chris......
(As he dons a hardhat):D
Yep I do believe your going to need a hardhat after some of these guys get done with you on this one.:D J/K:)

Bondo

Staff member

Chris......

Ayuh,... Bondo Grease Co. just signed an exclusive contract to supply Grease to Merc....
I guess they like Nothing but the Best....:D

I think You're the Wussy,... Scared to get your pinkies dirty or What,..??:rolleyes::p

achris

By the lack of response I take it that you are all in agreement with me then (apart from Bond-o, vested interest and all that:D)....

[size=+2]Permalube Gimbal bearings are a GREAT idea![/size]

So, what convinced you? My compelling argument? I thought so. :D:D:D

Chris......

liquidlew

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yikes!:eek: Didn't mean to stir up such a controversy, but since I did...Havin a blast watchin the GREASE fly, you guys are killin me! I'm gonna go ahead and put the permalube in, check it yearly and see how it goes. Thanks for all your interest!:D

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Only time will tell Chris.

If they last 10 years without being greased then I guess they will be fine.
If they only make it for one year and need replaced, then they are no good.
They have been out for a few years now, and I don't see anyone complaining about having to change them every year, or two years, or.........

Bondo

Staff member

So, what convinced you? My compelling argument? I thought so.

Ayuh,... Probably cause many of Us are Fishermen, as well as Mechanics...
And, of course, a real Fisherman can spot a Troll from a mile away.....:D :D

achris

ayuh,... Probably cause many of us are fishermen, as well as mechanics...
And, of course, a real fisherman can spot a troll from a mile away.....:D:D

roflmao .... :D:D:D

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Well, I'm a tinkerer and a greaser...soooo when I get my new bearings this spring, I'm gonna take 'em apart and drill the little hole in them to make them greasable.:D By the way...I just installed a new gimbal for Lime4x4 and it did have the grease hole in it....musta been old stock...poor guy...