OMC Cobra 4.3L V6 - 432APRMED - engine questions

nomi840

Cadet
I have an 1989 OMC Cobra 4.3L V6 engine in my boat. The model # is 432APRMED.

Does anyone know what this engine is equivalent to in terms of automotive engines?

Is this a GM, Ford or other?

Is this a small block or long block?

What is the name of the engine: Windsor, 302, Fireball, GM 60-Degree V6, etc.?

What is the HP rating?

How many cubic inches?

How fast (MPH) do you estimate this engine can go on a 19' open bow boat weighing 1500 Lbs (not including th engine, drive or passengers)?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: OMC Cobra 4.3L V6 - 432APRMED - engine questions

It is a GM based engine. Very similar to an older 4.3 truck engine but it has been marinized by OMC. Brass core plugs,different cam and all marine external parts.
About 190 hp
I think it is 262 cubic inches.

zbnutcase

Commander

Yes its 262 cubic inches and it is a Chevrolet engine,basically a 350 with 2 cylinders lopped off. Also known as the 90 degree V-6. If it's a 2 barrel carb it's 175ish HP. Sweet engine but thin castings; they will freeze crack VERY easily MAKE SURE TO WINTERIZE!!! 'nutcase

nomi840

Cadet

The reason I asked the above questions is because I need to replace the power steering pump pulley and I don't want to spend $65+ getting one that is advertised as "marine" as opposed to an automotive replacement that might cost about $25. After all there should be little to no difference in the pulley (marine vs. automotive) as long as it is the correct circumference, v-belt type, height, depth..etc.

Any suggestions on how to go about finding a cheap replacement pulley?

zbnutcase

Commander

Thats a Saginaw pump of the type used on millions of GM cars and trucks, and also a few brands out of GM. Take your old pulley and puller and hit the auto wrecking yards, you should find a match eventually. 'nutcase