oil change

the_anarchy16

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hey all. i have a 2003 merc 4stroke 15hp short shaft. I always have it serviced but im getting tired of paying through the nose for things i can do myself. what do i have to do to change the oil. is it just like a car. drain remove filter install new (oil the seal) filter replace drain fill? what kind of oil would you recomend. lower unit i can do but im open to suggestions on brand of lower unit gear oil? also where should i look for the drain for the motor oil? also how long should i wait to have the impeller replaced. this will be the 3rd season since its been done. (bought 3 years ago changed at purchase) was hoping to wait and change it when it gets winterised this fall. thanks

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: oil change

i would pick up a manual. It should have all of the info you need. I use mercury high performance gear lube in all of my motors.

The oil change is just like any other 4 stroke engine just like you said.

I change impellers every other season unless needed sooner!!

verado7

Chief Petty Officer
Re: oil change

as easy as the car and if the filter is hanging vertically fill it up with oil first so the pump can get it to internals quicker - applies to cars and especially diesels . sometimes on gas cars the filter is mounted in a way that you cant do this .