9.5hp Carb Rebuild Kit

bradford0113

Cadet
I am taking a stab at rebuilding the carburetor on my 1969 Evinrude 9.5hp outboard. Never had a carb apart before until tonight.

I am wondering what all the parts in the rebuild kit are for. The kit I have is part number 382048. I took my carb apart today, but I do not see where most of the parts in the kit go. The picture attached shows most of the pieces I am questioning. From this picture, the only pieces I know I need are the float hinge pin (black) and the red gasket/washer that's used for the float bowl plug screw.

Anybody know if I actually need these parts and if so where do they go? The carb is soaking for the night but I plan to put all back together tomorrow evening.

DSC03911.jpg

Thanks
Brad

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 9.5hp Carb Rebuild Kit

2 small brown circles are the packing for the low speed jet.
the black pin is the hinge pin for the float and needle.
black wahser goes on the cap on the high speed jet

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The new style needles used on your 1969 carburetor do not use several of the parts that come in the kits, including the packing; you use the o-ring instead.

You have two different hinge pins for the float; use the one that is like your old one.

There are nylon washers for the float valve; use the one for your carburetor.

The two large discs are for the old style large fuel pump; you may be using the small square one.

The red washer goes on the float bowl drain plug.

bradford0113

Cadet

Thanks guys for pretty much confirming my thoughts.

I still don't know where the o-ring that ezeke mentions should go. I didn't see one when I took my carb apart (that doesn't mean it shouldn't have been there though or maybe its hidden up inside somehwere).

Also, I've read about how to adjust the carb once all back together, but I'm a little confused on how to set the high speed since it is fixed and not necessarily adjustable. Right now, the orifice has been removed. When I put it back in do I simply screw it all the way in and then back out so many turns and leave it or will it go in to a certain stopping point and just stay there?

Sorry for some of the simple questions, but I have no experience with this at all and want to make sure it's done right.

Thanks again...
Brad

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Click the thumbnail, please.

Attachments

• Copy of 1969 9.5 carburetor.JPG
    Copy of 1969 9.5 carburetor.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 0

bradford0113

Cadet

Thanks again! Mine is definately missing that O-ring (and possibly the washers on the Low Speed needle Assy).