Can't find model number on a 60 Hp evinrude

trucker28

Petty Officer 2nd Class
a friend of mine just bought a boat with a 60 Hp evinrude and we were trying to find the year by finding the model number cant find it any were and I mean we went right through the whole motor looking for it any ideas were to find it to find the year of the motor.

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Can't find model number on a 60 Hp evinrude

Normally, there is a small silverish plate on the outside of the bracket that hold the motor to the transom. If the plate is missing, there is a silver plug (maybe 1 inch in diameter) somewhere on the engine block. The model number is usually there too.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Is it two, three, or V4 cylinders? What color is it?

trucker28

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is it two, three, or V4 cylinders? What color is it?

3 cylinders and it look someone may have painted but I think it may have been white and green

F_R

Supreme Mariner

3 cylinders and it look someone may have painted but I think it may have been white and green

Probably a 1970 or 1971. Have a distributor cap under the flywheel? That would be a determinator. Unless it actually is a 1968 or 1969 55hp.

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

On the top of the motor in front of the flywheel toward the spark plugs there should be an aluminum plug looks like a freeze plug, this will have the engine's model # stamped into it. This is the info you need to determine year.

trucker28

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On the top of the motor in front of the flywheel toward the spark plugs there should be an aluminum plug looks like a freeze plug, this will have the engine's model # stamped into it. This is the info you need to determine year.

Thank you I will head over there and try to find that plug