Tune up 68 85hp ???

Wintum 71

Recruit
Were do I find informaton on my recently aquired I think 1968 85 hp evinrude starflite model 85893 a serial E03996 Two storke 50 : 1, I am guessing? How big of a pain are the points ect. the Motor has not be started in about 22 years been in a garage. looks to be in great shape hoses are even soft.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tune up 68 85hp ???

Were do I find informaton on my recently aquired I think 1968 85 hp evinrude starflite model 85893 a serial E03996 Two storke 50 : 1, I am guessing? How big of a pain are the points ect. the Motor has not be started in about 22 years been in a garage. looks to be in great shape hoses are even soft.

The points trigger the CD ignition system. Unlike conventional battery/coil systems, the points in the CD system do not arc and burn. So except for just plain mechanical wear, nothing happens to them other than dirt or corrosion, etc. Clean everything up real good and set the points gap to .010". Best to replace the cam wick with a new one. They come pre-saturated with special lube. There is a reverse cut-out ring on the crankshaft, below the points. Tha should be cleaned, then re-lubed VERY sparingly with a bit of EP grease where it rides on the shaft. Very important: Shaft and flywheel tapers must be clean and dry and torque the flywheel nut to 70-85 ft lbs.

The most important thing I can say is check all battery cable connections, both ends. Don't just look at them, clean them up shiny bright and tighten them securely. Loose or dirty connections are the chief cause of alternator and ingition failure ($$$$). NEVER disconncet the battery while running or jump start. Use the best starting battery you can afford.

Carburetors will be gummed up if they were left with gas in them. Likewise the tank. It might be better to just get a new tank.

Replace the water pump impeller. It certainly will fail if it is 22 years old.

Migits40

Recruit
Re: Tune up 68 85hp ???

There were two types of ignition on the 1968 85hp Evinrude StarFlite. One was the electronic type and the other was the automotive type which has a distributor and ignition coil. The distributor has dual points.These points do arc and do need adjusting. The distributor is turned with a notched belt off of the altenator.