Merc vs Yammie in 9.9

albertaangler

Recruit
Opinions and facts appreciated.

Which is better and why??

I'm replacing an 80's vintage Merc which starts 1st or 2nd pull each and everytime - even 1st use of the year.

Always run the carb (bowl) dry before removing and carrying it on it's side in the utility trailer.
Goona have to change that too, as we now will tow a travel trailer and put all the crap from utility into truck box. Had tho't of some sort of stand up holder either in the truck (but may get smelly) box (have canopy) of somewhere on the front or rear of trailer. I'll contact mfgr re using rear bumper for some sort of mount.
According to local Yammy dealer the units can be stored on the side BUT tiller must be on the down side.

As for Honda's - have heard that they are getting nearly impossible to fix - finding a dealer and/or parts as they have pulled ALL their delaers and selling thru' the Honda car dealerships.
And I had heard the Merc were really tohatsu's - is that necesarily bad???

gss036

Commander
Re: Merc vs Yammie in 9.9

There are still lots of Honda dealers in our area and the auto dealers are selling them. Mercury and Nissan and Tohatsu are all the same motor in the smaller motors, I think up to 25 hp anyway. Yamaha makes an excellent motor. I had a Honda for 15 years or so and about 4000 hours on it, when I thought it was about time for a new motor, I could not get the Local Honda dealer to come off the list price so bought a new T9.9 for $900 less than the Honda. I have run the Yamaha a little over a year now and it has not missed a stroke.