1992 Sailfish 200 Project

MyViewGS

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all !! Im new to the forum. I've been lurking around while getting started on my newest project. I've been able to find many answers to my questions already. I picked up a 1992 Sailfish 200 a few weeks ago.
3.jpg

This Sailfish is 20'-2" long and powered by a Evinrude 140 looper. It runs well but appears that the boat has been sitting is storage for quite some time. The previous owner said he thought the fuel filler hose had "collapsed" because he had to fill it very slowly. As it turns out:
15.jpg

The TANK had actually collapsed. (Thats a INCA tank). That's about 40 gallons of water sitting on top. Yeah ! check out that sending unit..!
17.jpg

So, I have a new tank with sending unit on the way (Moeller). Meanwhile, Im cutting out the old tank, cleaning out all the old water soaked pour in foam, livewell, baitwell, bilge, etc, etc.... The stringers are solid (YEEESSSSS). It has some stress fractures in the gel coat and needs all new wiring. The trailer is in overall good shape other than one galv. crossmember that will need to be replaced......... I have more nasty photos but I think I'll hang on to them. I'll update when I can...... Anyway, Hello again, and thanks for having me.

MyViewGS

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1992 Sailfish 200 Project

Beautiful boat. Definitely worth the effort to fix up. Good luck with it!

erikgreen

Captain

Kind of impressive... I hope the under-deck structure wasn't as wet as that tank....

Erik

MyViewGS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Beautiful boat. Definitely worth the effort to fix up. Good luck with it!
Thanks, this is my first salt water boat. I hope to get her water ready soon so I can go fishing. My plans are to do more cosmetic upgrades during late fall early winter.

Kind of impressive... I hope the under-deck structure wasn't as wet as that tank....

Erik

other than the pour-in being soaked around the top of the tank it all looks pretty good. I plan on posting pics of my tank exchange and any concerns that I may find. Right now its at the shop having the looper serviced while I wait for the new tank to arrive.

MyViewGS

MyViewGS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, so the new fuel tank was scheduled to arrive around the 8th of April so yesterday I decided to cut out the old tank. Well, about the time that I got it out UPS arrived with my new tank, yep, 8 days early (go Moeller!). It's a nice fit, however, this whole day brought up some questions:

1. After I cut the old tank and removed all the nasty pour in foam everything is SOLID. The glass mat seems rough and somewhat unglazed. I feel I shoud at least coat what I can reach with epoxy/resin. Would you add a layer of fiberglass or just coat what is there?

2.The tank well was holding water, alot of water. There is no drain to the bilge. Can I add one or is that a safety issue to keep a failed tank from leaking into the bilge?

3. The new tank is 50 gallons where the old was 90 gallons. The new one is about 2 feet shorter. Should I build new bulkheads for fit and fill the gaps with floatation?

4. Looking for suggestions on the best way to secure the new tank. I dont want to use more pour in foam. Are tank straps my best bet?

Here are a few photos of the tank well and tanks.
100_1363.jpg

100_1370.jpg

Damifudo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would not have any drain on the bottom of a tank that can leak into the bilge. Big safety issue for me. Secure foam if you can. I would try not to drill into any wood or fiberglass unless I had too. Any hole is a potential for rott if its in a area that can not stay dry or dry out. Beautiful boat!!! Good luck with the project. 50 gals should keep you running all day with no problem and hey if you have room for a smalll tank next to it for a reserve? Maybe one of those plastic 6 gals jobs? Nice to have if your going to just go out for a few hours. I top of the six gal so I am running as fresh of gas as possible.

MyViewGS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, maybe I wasn't totally clear on the drain question. Id never put a drain on the tank itself. Part of the hull is a WELL that holds the fuel tank. That well is completely sealed and about a foot deep. The tank is seated inside the well. If water gets into the WELL area it has nowhere to go. I guess the idea is to stop water from getting into the fuel tank well. Here inlies another problem. The cable access hole under the center console was cut partially over the fuel tank well. If water gets in that hole....blah, blah, blah... As for the foam seal its not recommended to foam seal in a fuel cell. The poly type cells need room for expansion. If there are more suggestions I'll deffinately take them, or if anyone has answers for my other questions..... Thanks
MyViewGs:cool: