200.00 bucks any idea what it is?

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 0

Ned L

Commander
Re: old wooden boat for sale on kijiji

Molded plywood hull (windshield doesn't belong, all wrong) Could be reasonably 'collectable' with the right crowd. Be careful about rot/soft spots in the hull, a proper repair can be made, but it is time consuming & tedious.

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

heck if i didnt have 2 boats in the yard and it isnt rotting apart id buy it, always wanted an old wood boat, the admiral would s@#t herself if i rolled in with another. i agree the windsheild is out of place on this one, it would look better w/ none.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

It doesn't look like it was built by one of the majors. It also doesn't look like a kit boat. If it was made by a regional builder it might have some collectability if there is a local club. But, the windshield has hurt its collectability. It looks to me to be a "user" boat and the price is right as long as there is no dry rot.

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

If it's not rotted worth $200.00 with or without the windshield. Maybe not as a collector but as a boat to use.

recce43

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thinking same thing wife would shoot me

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

It looks like it is cold molded, which means its made of thin veeners - most likely mahoghany.

If you buy it, whatever you do, don't use mechanical sanders of any kind. Its just too easy to sand through a layer, which causes a circular patch in the outer layer.

I've owned a couple of Whirlwind cold molded boats. They are really beautiful, but require a lot of upkeep. If kept sealed with varnish, they can last a long time, but will eventually show rot in places that have not been kept up. They also tend to suffer from "separation" problems as they get older. What I mean by that, is that any of the joints (transom to hull, dash panels, seats, etc.) are susceptible to coming apart, due to movement and loosening resorcinol glue.

The good news, is that if the boat is in basically good shape now and you restore it well, you will have a very nice boat. You will probably be pleased with the performance too, because they are very light and it doesn't take much power to get them going.

???

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

If it's not rotten then most likely a good buy.