Switching from closed cooling system to fresh water.

dshirack

Cadet
Hi all. I'm brand new on here and I have a 1984 Bayliner with a Volvo Penta (4 cyl) and 270 outdrive. I want to know how to switch from the closed cooling system to the fresh. I just bought the boat and failed to ask how to do it. I have searched near and far and cannot figure it out. thanks.

RicardoMarine

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Switching from closed cooling system to fresh water.

Do not do this! Correct whatever is necessary to bring your OEM system back into working condition. Too many hurdles to jump in order to make that idea work successfully. IMO.
Volvo Penta designed this system for a very good reason. When all is working as it should.... it is a good system!

dshirack

Cadet

Thanks for the quick reply. If I'm reading your response right, just leave the closed cooling system alone and only use that? The system works fine. I just don't have experience with them. I wasn't aware of how well they would work and if you had the choice (I only use on freshwater) of which one to use.

If it works fine leave it alone. It is basically the same as the system in your car. A heat exchanger (radiator), circulating pump, reservoir, thermostat.

It just uses seawater to cool the anti freeze/coolant instead of air. If you switch it to straight fresh water it may run to cool and not perform correctly.

Just get a service manual to make sure you care for it and winterize properly to avoid any issues.

dshirack

Cadet

If it works fine leave it alone. It is basically the same as the system in your car. A heat exchanger (radiator), circulating pump, reservoir, thermostat.

Great. That's what I needed to know. I'll just leave her alone then since it cools fine. Thanks everyone.

RicardoMarine

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I'd not simly leave it alone either! I'd be investigating the sea water pump, impeler, impeller drive cushion, copper tube sealing rings, sea water hoses, the closed system side, water neck fitting/special beaded gasket, etc. See your OEM manual!
These are maintenance items, once done, you can have some peace of mind in knowing that all is good.
It's just part of boating!

Yes, I agree with Ricardo.....that is why you should invest in a service manual to give you a good idea of what your working with. For $30 it is worth it!!!!

I just meant leave it alone as in don't remove it!!

dshirack

Cadet

I just meant leave it alone as in don't remove it!![/QUOTE]

I gotchya. I just meant I'll leave trying to switch off the closed system alone. Thanks everyone.