Need 225 Johnson Advice

gonnabe

Cadet
I have just acquired a 1991 Johnson 225, Hourmeter shows 600 hours and I believe this to be true (friend has owned the motor since new).
I am really a Mercury outboard fan and have owned several Mercs over the years, but based on the price (free) of the Johnson I can't pass it up.
It seems that a weak link in this era motor is the VRO, I would like to disable this and just run pre-mix. Is this a good idea or am I over-reacting? Also, is there a "kit" to abandon the VRO or do you just unplug the alarm and keep going?
Also, if anybody has suggestions of possible problem spots to check out on the motor that would be appreciated. Engine has been sitting for two years without being winterized/touched, I imagine carbs could be an issue. Previous owner also noted there was possibly an "upper bearing" issue with the lower unit, is this something that is easily fixed or should I just swap for a re-man unit?
Thanks in advance for all the help !

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Need 225 Johnson Advice

VRO still working.

To convert a still working VRO, disconnect the wiring harness to the VRO pump, also the harness to the oil tank.
You actually remove oil tank for more storage.

Now cut the oil line about 1 ? inchs from motor. Plug the oil line. I use a bolt and hose clamp.

Premix your fuel 50:1 TC-W3 outboard oil.

Disconnect fuel line to top carb, pump primer bulb, until you get mixed gas out of carb line. The gas will change color.

Connect carb line, go boating.

i would use the boat and see what problems it really has.