94' merc 200hp low comp

huddled

Cadet
I have a 200 hp merc with a rebuilt powerhead that has 8 hours on it. Problem is one cylinder has 60lbs of compression. the cyl head is not dark colored like the others and the cyl walls are slightly worn. can that one cyl just be honed and new piston put in? and why did it happen?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 94' merc 200hp low comp

I have a 200 hp merc with a rebuilt powerhead that has 8 hours on it. Problem is one cylinder has 60lbs of compression. the cyl head is not dark colored like the others and the cyl walls are slightly worn. can that one cyl just be honed and new piston put in?

Yes.... But if it has wear in it, then I would bore it and fit an oversize piston...

huddled said:
and why did it happen?

Sorry, my crystal ball is on the fritz at the moment....

Which cylinder is damaged? What is the damage? What is the year (serial number) of your engine? What were you doing at the time of failure? Is the timing and carb sync right? What were the WOT rpm before the damage? Are you boating at altitude? Is the control box alarm system working, and did it give an alarm before failure? Who did the re-build and why? Did they find the cause of the failure? At 8 hours I'd guess that the engine was rebuilt and the original problem wasn't fixed, that's why it's failed again.

And a million other question I could ask.... I guess you're getting the picture...

Chris........