Mercury Force History

Salty Tricks

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Guys.... trying to clear up some misconceptions (maybe mine) regarding how much design change did Mercury influence Force when they took over until the phased them out. I always believed while Mercury made some changes including lower units, ignition etc. that the powerheads were indeed Force and not a Mercury design. At anytime did Mercury take one of their motors and put a Force badge on any of their models? Can someone like Frank A. clarify.

Thanks
Michael

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury Force History

Force engine blocks remained West Bend/Chrysler design until Merc phased them out. Merc did change the mid and lower units to Merc design, and the crankshafts were re-splined to match Merc drive shafts.

The only blocks that Merc did meaningful changes on were the 70 and 75. Both these three cylinder engines were reworked with a single carb. Additionally, the 75 and the late '90s 90 hp were given long con rods and larger diameter wrist pins.

Force engine blocks remained West Bend/Chrysler design until Merc phased them out. Merc did change the mid and lower units to Merc design, and the crankshafts were re-splined to match Merc drive shafts.

The only blocks that Merc did meaningful changes on were the 70 and 75. Both these three cylinder engines were reworked with a single carb. Additionally, the 75 and the late '90s 90 hp were given long con rods and larger diameter wrist pins.

Damn you know your stuff!!!!

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Frank A , Since you are very well educated on Merc/Force engines I do have a question ... I have a 1994 90hp Sport jet , What engines have the same crank spline since I want more HP and performance ?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I am good, but not great! You had to ask the one question to which I have no answer: I never worked on a jet drive Force.

Before we start though, reconsider. You do not have a lot of options. You can swap in a Force 120 or 125 block, or even a Chrysler 140--maybe.

Now, since a jet drive is only 75% as efficient as prop drive, any extra horsepower you swap in will be reduced by 25%. So even if you go whole hog,you can only expect maybe 4-5 MPH more. Now, if your engine is trashed, then it is worth getting the larger block. But otherwise, you are better off leaving it alone. AND: if you do swap in a bigger block, you still need to change the jet pump impeller to absorb the extra ponies.

NOW: IF and that's a big IF--If Merc did not change the splines on the jet drive crank, then, any Chrysler or early 90s Force 120, 125, 140 block will bolt up. And possibly the 5 cylinder 150--but then for sure you will need to "Massage" fiberglass

However they may have used a differently balanced crankshaft (like on the L-Drive, according to an old Chrysler mechanic)

All in all, If you want more performance it is really time to look for another boat.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Frank , kinda of what I expected . Not worth it in the long run . My 90 is well tuned and runs like a champ . I just hate getting passed in the river by a boat with a 90 on it . I am limited to what I can get due to the tunnel I need to get out of from my canal.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Sport jet cranks are different splines and totally different exhaust plate. To use a 4 cylunder engine you would neeed the matching exhaust.