dead short

kuzzie

Recruit
I have a 92 200 vro,both batteries are fully charged. When I start up the 200 the amp gauge draws right down to nothing what could it be ? No blown fuses and no new wiring done from last year and it worked great.

daselbee

Commander
Re: dead short

I have a 92 200 vro,both batteries are fully charged. When I start up the 200 the amp gauge draws right down to nothing what could it be ? No blown fuses and no new wiring done from last year and it worked great.

I would like to help if I can, but I cannot understand your post.

What do you mean by -" When I start up the 200" - When it is running/ or when the starter motor is turning the engine over...

Also, "the amp gauge draws right down to nothing" what does that mean? Is it reading 0, dead in the center, or is it reading way over to the minus side?

We need more accuracy on what you are trying to describe.

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Look for corrosion somewhere. First, try cleaning the terminals on your battery and them try starting.

I'm not positive but it sounds similar to a problem I myself just trouble shooted. Assuming all your wires are good, sparks are good, and batterys are good, It could be that your starter solenoid is going bad. You can pick them up at autozone for $13 bucks but you have to remember to check the ignition and starter wires are on the right posts. They switch them up on you. Also automotive solenoids ground via the bracket instead of on a terminal like a marine solenoid, so make sure its mounted to something that will continue the ground. Hope it's this easy.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If the battery is good, your problem is resistance in the circuit, probably caused by failing battery cables.

After attempting to start the motor, you may be able to find the problem by touch as resistance always generates heat. Or, you can find the problem by voltage drop test.

So, put your positive voltmeter lead on the battery positive terminal and the voltmeter negative lead on the large incoming solenoid/battery terminal post and hit the starter switch. If the voltage meter reads more than .3 volts, the battery cable is bad, corroded or has a bad connection.

Next, connect the voltmeter negative lead to the outgoing large solenoid post and the positive voltmeter lead to the incoming large solenoid post while cranking the starter. If the voltmeter reads greater than .2 volts, the solenoid is bad, corroded or has a bad connection.

Next, connect the positive voltmeter lead to the outgoing large solenoid post and the negative voltmeter lead to the starter positive post and hit the starter switch. A reading of over .2 volts indicates a bad wire between the solenoid and the starter.

Lastly, connect the negative battery post to the negative voltmeter lead and the positive voltmeter lead to the engine block and crank the engine. A reading of greater than .3 volts indicates a bad negative cable, corrosion or a bad cable connection.

The idea is that normally when you put both leads of a voltmeter on the same side of a circuit you should get no reading.