1988 mariner 115 info needed

008wagon

Seaman
Hello new to the forum! i am going to look at a boat that has a 1988 mariner 115 on it. the guy said it was just checked out last year by a shop . it starts and runs good on the muffs. it has had the auto blend system removed and is pre mixed in the tank. i was looking to find out how good these motors are and if there are any known problems to look for? also can i just fill the gas tank up with gas then put in the correct amount of oil and alittle more gas to mix it or should i pre mix in gas cans? it has a 20 gallon tank and is on a 1983 lund tyee. will this motor troll slow enough to pull crank baits? just looking for a little info before i pull the trigger on it . thanks

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 1988 mariner 115 info needed

Hi and welcome,

The inline 6 has a long and illustrious history. Many people, myself included, love them. The have a few quirks, but then most things do. As for slow speed work, they are as good as you'll get. Also like most things, look after it, and it will look after you.

The choice of how you mix the fuel is up to you, but my personal preference is to put the oil in the tank THEN add the petrol.

Chris........

008wagon

Seaman

thanks for the info . what oil /fuel ratio should i mix at? also is it normal for the oil injection system to be un hooked on these motors? thanks

achris

Petrol/oil ratio is 50:1. Use a good quality oil. I have found that the fuel consumption can be influenced by the oil. I also found the Quicksilver oil to be the best, but any oil with a TC-W3 rating is ok.

The oil injection system on these engines was called 'Auto-blend', and they didn't have a good reputation. The later systems used by Merc are more integrated with the engine, and work very well and are quite reliable.

Chris......

008wagon

Seaman

would any one happen to know what brand and model # of spark plug i should run in it? also how often should the water pump be changed out and is it very easy to do? thanks

achris

Use NGK BUHW plugs, check the water pump annually with a view to replacing it every second year. It's not difficult. Get yourself the service manual and you shouldn't have any problems. Get a GENUINE manual, the aftermarket ones are rubbish. The manual you need is Merc part number 90-86134--4.

Cheers,

Chris.......

008wagon

Seaman

thanks alot i can't find out what gap to run the plugs at would anyone happen to know that? thanks

achris

thanks alot i can't find out what gap to run the plugs at would anyone happen to know that? thanks

No gap on these plugs, there are what's called a surface firing plug. There is an actual gap, but it's not adjustable, and it's 0.060"

Chris....
They look like this.....

Attachments

• BUHW.jpg
    BUHW.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 0