Music Assignment

Kiwi Phil

Commander
Are there any music teachers here?
My 16yr old, Hayden, has to do a (Music) Anayltical Essay = he has selected 2 pieces of programme music to compare: ma Vlast by Bedrich Smetana, and Pictures at an Exhibition by Modest Mussorgsky.
He has the draft back and has amendments to make, and he is doing ok, but I thought I better ask the question just in case there is someone here, or a wife, who knows all about this sort of thing, and would like to ?help?.
Cheers
Phillip

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Music Assignment

WHAT?!?!? did not understand any of this.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

WHAT?!?!? did not understand any of this.

Fair enough, but here is an idea for you.

Punch in ma Vlast by Bedrich Smetana and have a quick read about it on Wikipedia, (go down to Vltava)...
then try this modern version on you-tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHPvXpjlR7Q

Hayden loves the orchestral version.

Sort of understand why this is one of the most 'nationalist' pieces ever written.

I think anthem from another country is drawn from it to....not sure....someone on this board may recognise it actually....if I have my facts right.

Then comes Pictures. Pretty touching story but not famous till around 1920 when it was converted for orchestra. I sort of like it.

Now, for a bloke that new nothing of these till 5 weeks back,.... not too bad eh!

Cheers
Phillip

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

The only time I've heard Muzzorgsky's "Pictures at an Exibition" is by the rock band Emerson Lake and Palmer.
I don't know what it was like originally but it rocks pretty good in their hands.:)