Motor wont tilt up

beavers82

Cadet
When I try to tilt up, you can hear the tilt motor, but it wont push it up. If you lift it up manually, the piston will rise all the way and hold, but then even if you press up on the tilt, it goes down. Same with the trim. Any ideas. This is a 1988 Johnson 90hp VRO. Also what kind of fluid do I put in the tilt motor. Thanks

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Motor wont tilt up

Did you loosen the manual release valve before lifting the leg?
If no, its loose.!
Has to be very tight to seal.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You probably have air in the system.

Have the boat on a level plane.

Lift the motor and support it.

Remove the fill plug and fill until it runs out.

Close the plug tightly, remove the support and cycle the motor up and down several times, helping it as needed.

Repeat the process until no more fluid is needed.

Use OMC/BRP Power Trim/Tilt & Power Steering Fluid or Dextron ATF.

dozerII

Admiral

My previous boat had a 115 Evenrude on it that did the same thing when I bought it. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what was wrong, the manual release valve was tight but the "O-Ring" was cut allowing it to by pass. New O-ring and all was well.

beavers82

Cadet

Thanks, I will try these after work today. The motor was on a pallet on its side for 2 weeks before I put it on. It had worked previously, so I am hoping that it just got air in the line.

beavers82

Cadet

Turns out they loosened the manual release screw to tilt it down to lift it off the previous boat. Tightened it up and sure nuff worked like a charm!

ridehard59

Recruit

I have the same problem it is on a johnson 50hp (2000) where do you fine
the screw or nut to fill with oil??? there is oil coming out of the pistion not alot but maybe it is empty

jonesg

Admiral

The motor was on a pallet on its side for 2 weeks before I put it on. .

Me too when I bought mine,

even though you found the release valve loose expect the system to have an air pocket from laying on its side, its typical.

Follow the directions you already got to bleed it.

Manual realse valve should be tightened to 45 in lbs.
If you find it still leaks down in the future, tighten the valve more.

Fish929

Seaman

I have the same problem it is on a johnson 50hp (2000) where do you fine
the screw or nut to fill with oil??? there is oil coming out of the pistion not alot but maybe it is empty

Oil should not be coming out of the top of the hydraulic cylinder. Take a look at these pics of mine
http://picasaweb.google.com/willfisher929/JohnsonTilt#

I just had to completely redo mine and finally got it working. The fill screw is the top one in the pics. The bottom screw, which is very hard to remove unless you have a really wide flat head screwdriver is the manuall release screw. Feel free to start a new thread or private message me as I have the same engine and tilt unit and have recently become very familiar with how it all works.