"coated" gaskets

huntin dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all,
I just replaced the exhaust cover gaskets on my 1973 7.5. The factory gaskets are coated with a plastic like coating. I replaced the gaskets, torqued the cover back on and started the motor. Water was everywhere!

What is the deal with these gaskets? How the heck are they supposed to seal the water jacket?

Should I apply some permatex?

Thanks,
HD

verado7

Chief Petty Officer
Re: "coated" gaskets

a couple of thoughts .

the water jacket and the exhaust cover are 2 different parts -maybe you looked up the wrong torque spec.?

- if it was the water jacket ( cover where the spark plugs go) then a motor of that age would likely have a warped cover and or the the raised sealing strip on the face has corroded away ( not uncommon ) it could have been the result of removing it in the first place but it was probably leaking already ?

- in that case you could try to get a new one ( crowley marine ) or used . or if you can prove it not warped try aircraft sealant ( usually on shelf near the liquid teflon ) you can coat the gaskets with it -let it set up about 10 minutes and install it seals very well and holds up to salt water ( silicone doesn't ) it needs to cure over-night before starting the motor .

Black as

Chief Petty Officer

Hello all,
I just replaced the exhaust cover gaskets on my 1973 7.5. The factory gaskets are coated with a plastic like coating. I replaced the gaskets, torqued the cover back on and started the motor. Water was everywhere!

What is the deal with these gaskets? How the heck are they supposed to seal the water jacket?

Should I apply some permatex?

Thanks,
HD

Did you make sure both surfaces were completely cleaned something doesn't sound right here for that much water to be everywhere

huntin dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's the exhaust cover. All surfaces were completely cleaned. I torqued it according to my shop manual but it leaked like crazy. I guess due to it's age maybe it warped a little but I didn't expect it to leak so much.

I already replaced the water jacket gasket. It was a paper gasket. It trickled a bit when I first replaced it but it quit after a few minutes.

I just wonder why these exhaust cover gaskets are coated. Doesn't seem right for a water gasket.

HD

Black as

Chief Petty Officer

It's the exhaust cover. All surfaces were completely cleaned. I torqued it according to my shop manual but it leaked like crazy. I guess due to it's age maybe it warped a little but I didn't expect it to leak so much.

I already replaced the water jacket gasket. It was a paper gasket. It trickled a bit when I first replaced it but it quit after a few minutes.

I just wonder why these exhaust cover gaskets are coated. Doesn't seem right for a water gasket.

HD

For it to leak as much as you said it must be warped, but these days you don't need a sealant with gaskets straight out of the packet, I remember years ago and I mean years we used silver paint, dipped it in tightened it up and waited till the next day:rolleyes: but I'm not saying do it like that.

I would pull it apart and run a straight edge over it with a light in the back ground:confused: