moved 150 to other boat

ermess

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Moved 150 hp to another boat. Finished wiring and hooked to battery with no key in ignition and engine started cranking on it's own. could the the 2 red yellows at remote be crossed? had to cut and splice - since they both looked the same.

Thanks
Ed

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: moved 150 to other boat

Sounds like it , check your wiring with a test light, the one red should only put out power in the start (crank) position.

ermess

Petty Officer 3rd Class

disconnected and switched red/yellow wires. same problem soon as I hook up battery, engine turns over until I disconnect battery. Disconnected wire harness at motor, same issue engine turns over with battery connected. Not sure what problem is.

Thanks
Ed

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Disconnect the wire(s) going the the small terminal(s) of the starter solenoid. If it still does it sounds like a faulty solenoid.

ermess

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys - it was the solenoid. Replaced, water tested - idleling a little high (1500 out of water/ 1000 in the water). Engine is mounted on a 18' Hydrasport, I have this knock between 3000 - 5000, but if I am running 5500 knock goes away. Only hear when in gear and running, but not at all RPM's.
Engine was mounted on a 21' Hydrasport CC and would here it 3000 - 4500.

Any ideas

Thanks
Ed

ermess

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No,
this has been an ongoing project. Originally found 95 21' hydrasport and 150hp ocean runner in disrepair. Completed project 2 years ago only to have 21' delaminate. Found another boat (18' hydrasport) and rigged with 150hp ocean runner.

Thanks
Ed

bktheking

Vice Admiral

No,
this has been an ongoing project. Originally found 95 21' hydrasport and 150hp ocean runner in disrepair. Completed project 2 years ago only to have 21' delaminate. Found another boat (18' hydrasport) and rigged with 150hp ocean runner.

Thanks
Ed

So you've never had it out? Compression good, decarb ever been done, how's the temperature when it's running, has the motor been timed properly?

Lot's of variables

ermess

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No, I had her running for the past 2-3 years on the 21', Compression is good, decarbed several times, runs nice and cool, even took it to a Johnson dealership, so they could time it for me since it has that Optic eye.

Thanks
Ed

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Well a knock doesn't sound good. Could be lower unit or powerhead.

ermess

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Since the knock goes away at high rpms and I can rev the engine without being in gear - probably lower unit? One thing I noticed tonite is the prop has some slop - I can move it up and down on the prop shaft - almost a 1/2 inch - would this cause a knock?

Thanks
Ed

jonesg

Admiral

wow, thats a lotta slop, is there any gear oil left I wonder.
Sounds like you found the knock, ...knock on wood.