Transom Rebuild ???

heiliges

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, so everyone rebuilds thier transom on an old boat, that seems to be standard and everyone ponders the same thing, which material should I use. He reason comes from ensureing strength versus chance of degradation. I get that. What I don't get is why combinations are not used. For instance, you know the fiber and resin will protect the wood except where holes are drilled for any number of attachments from motors to sensors, what have you. So the question I have:

Why does no one use a combination to ensure the wood remains fully protected from water?

Is drilling a hole bigger than what is needed then putting glass or resin over that and then get a metal insert or something like seacast to protect that simply not an option?

Please help a noobie understand why this should not be done?

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Transom Rebuild ???

overdrilling holes and filling with epoxy resin and a filler has been done and works reall well. It's good for screws and such, but for bolts that go all the way through, coat the holes with epoxy before, and when you install the bolts coat the threads with 3M4200 and "turn" them as you push them through, that way the sealant isn't pushed out. Stay away form silicone. Good Luck, I'm sure others here will chime in as well.

erikgreen

Captain

In short, that IS done and is the best way to keep any boat with wood rot free.

Overdrill all holes for any penetrations - screws, bolts, rivets, anything... and fill with epoxy putty and re-drill. Seal all wood on all surfaces with epoxy or poly with glass or mat.

Choice of core materials only really affects how stiff they are and whether they have weak points from voids.. if the glass is done right and maintained the boat will last...

Erik

heiliges

Seaman Apprentice

So if I understand correctly, improper prevention is what leads to wood rot, not the fact that its a boat and sits in water for a while.

What's that old line... a ounce of prevention...

Thanks guys, thats what I thought in my logical mind and wanted to make sure I was following things correctly.

jonesg

Admiral

Its not that they sit in the water,
sometimes its the water that sits in the boat which ruins it.
Leaving it on a trailer with the bow down and the drain plug in ,
and uncovered over winter. Thats all it takes to get the damage rooted.
Theres plenty of 5 yr old boats already ruined by lack of attention.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

^^^^what he said + improperly sealed thru-hulls, transducer mounts, etc.

pete44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Theres plenty of 5 yr old boats already ruined by lack of attention.

Agreed..I would think the newer boats did not have that much wood like the old ones..Such as with BowRiders I guess.At least I know SeaRay is like that..VENTILATION is as important as coverage..Those expensive nice looking "tight covers" don't do much with ventilation..even with those "air vents" you can place on them...I think a heavy milled "ole plastic tarp" with some nice bowed wood stretched over gunwales installed for drainage with eyeholes and bungee cords..Of course the best option is garaged with all hatches open...

Pete

jonesg

Admiral

Agreed..I would think the newer boats did not have that much wood like the old ones..Such as with BowRiders I guess.At least I know SeaRay is like that..VENTILATION is as important as coverage..Those expensive nice looking "tight covers" don't do much with ventilation..even with those "air vents" you can place on them...I think a heavy milled "ole plastic tarp" with some nice bowed wood stretched over gunwales installed for drainage with eyeholes and bungee cords..Of course the best option is garaged with all hatches open...

Pete

ahh well yeh, but then ...., open boats with rugs and "furniture" , those boats need protection like a convertible car with no roof.

My boat is a center console with self bailing deck, I only cover it to keep the twigs and leaves out. Parking under a big oak tree creates a huge mess of rotten leaves by springtime. I can't win.!

pete44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't forget the other 2 factors....SUN and HUMIDITY...Why do you think rich people have "climate controlled" garages for their toys! :)

Pete

haulnazz15

Captain

Best option is to remove all of the wood and not worry about it! :) I could have gone back with plywood in my transom and expected it to last 30+ years, but I went with SeaCast and know that the transom will last the life of the hull. An ounce of prevention . . .