Yamaha '02 200hp HPDI Engine Alarm??

RedDogScout

Recruit
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've read previous posts concerning this issue, but I'm just gathering as much info as possible. I was fishin' about 20 miles out and suddenly I started getting an engine alarm and my port side engine went into safe mode (no higher than 2000rpm). I shut down engine and headed home with my starbrd. I have no indicators on my fuel mngmt gauges telling me what the problem is (i.e. no flashing lights or icons). The engine is receiving oil, temp is good, so it must be water in the fuel. I changed my fuel water separators, which were pretty nasty and had quite a bit of debris and water in them. The engine mounted fuel filter shows no water and all gas. I thought this would fix the problem, but the alarm is still sounding. I'm know there are about 8 things that'll cause the alarm to sound, but I'm stuck on the water in the fuel issue. What else can I do to fix it?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha '02 200hp HPDI Engine Alarm??

unplug the water detect wire from the filter cups.
if either engine alarms BOTH go into RPM reduction.
also if the red/white wire in the fuel management harness is not used but is still laying in the bilge,saltwater can trigger a false detect.

RedDogScout

Recruit
Re: Yamaha '02 200hp HPDI Engine Alarm??

Rodbolt, thanks for the quick reply. I just got a call telling me the problem's fixed. I'm willing to bet he did what you suggested. I'll find out shortly. You should know I was told to find you on this site...you're a great help! Thanks a lot.