mercruiser trim down not working

tomwinkler

Recruit
I just bought a 1999 searay 290 with twin 5.7L and alpha drives. When purchased the port trim gauge was stuck in up position. Trim worked ok then.
I was out last weekend and couldn't get it to trim down. When using the trim switch on the throttle, I hear a click in the trim pump assembly. I brought the drive down by jumping the contacts on the trim pump down solinoid with a wire. The drive will raise with either the trailer trim switch or with the trim switch on the throttle. It just will not lower unless I jump the down solinoid contacts.

It seems to me that if the trim limit switch is out, the up trim is what doesn't work.

I am leaning toward guessing the down solinoid is out but the fact the trim guage is stuck in full up makes it look like the trim limit switch is out.

Thanks for any advice!

Tom

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: mercruiser trim down not working

Tom,

The gauge and the limit switch do not interact. The limit switch does not act on the down circuit. If it works by jumping out the solenoid, and you can hear it clicking, then it is a faulty solenoid. If you want to be even more convinced, then swap it with any one of the others that you know works...

Chris.........