'85 115 Johnson Alarm

mjames76

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have searched the forum and havent really found the answer. When I turn on the key the alarm sounds and will not shut off. I have tried 2 different control boxes. The vro was disconnected by the PO. On the engine side of the harness there is a tan wire that has been grounded to the block for some reason. If I unhook this wire the alarm shuts off. When I bought the motor he started it for me on his old boat before we took it off and I dont remember hearing an alarm at that time. Any ideas?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: '85 115 Johnson Alarm

the tan wire should go to the overheat sensor, on the block. the sensor grounds the wire, when activated by too much heat. sure the alarm is going to sound when the wire is grounded.

mjames76

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok I traced down the tan wires to the sensors and used my meter to check for continuity which I had on both at he sensor and the red plug. I still have a tan wire hanging loose that is going to nothing. I found that it also goes to the heat sensor on the right side head. It looks like I have 1 wire coming from that sensor splitting into 2 some where in the harness. So what I have is 2 tan wires coming from the red plug both wired to sensors and 1 tan wire left over that also goes to one of the sensors but is not hooked up to anything else. Should I just cap it off so it doesnt ground aginst something. I really need to find a service manual for this thing.

mjames76

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks that is just what I needed. I will just cap off the extra wire that went to the low oil sensor.