Trim/Tilt Pump replacement - Mercuiser 140hp

ronsschultz

Cadet
I have a 1978 Seaswirl with a 140hp mercuiser motor, 4 cyl. Appears my trim motor may be shot. I bought the boat last month knowing it needed some repair. I found they had the trim selenoid (single selenoid system) was wired wrong and the selenoid was bad. I replaced the selenoid and wired per the digarm and was able to get motor to go up down a couple times (seemed a little slow, but was working). Day later I pulled out of garage to hook up to hose and start engine, but found the trim pump would not bring motor down. Ended up removing the hydralic hoses going to cylinders on engine and appears the oil coming out has water mixed in. Went though process of draining, refiling, etc. When to run trim motor again to start bleeding process and now motor don't move. I hear clicking noises, but seems pump is frozen. The wires going into the pump have seen better days as well. Was thinking I should just replace it. The number on the side of pump is 79271a1. I found the below in the iboat parts store, but it says it replaces 79271A4. Any one know if Would this work for 79271a1 as well? I have not pulled it out of the boat yet, so not sure exacly what the bolt pattern looks like on the mounting bracket to compare to picture.

Here is the one I found:
Power Tilt & Trim Motor - Sierra
Part # 18-6763 - Replaces MERCURY MARINE 79271A4
http://www.iboats.com/Power-Tilt-Tr...8705590--**********.122909958--view_id.171693

Thanks in advance,
Ron

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trim/Tilt Pump replacement - Mercuiser 140hp

I have a 1978 Seaswirl ......................................

Here is the one I found:
Power Tilt & Trim Motor - Sierra
Part # 18-6763 - Replaces MERCURY MARINE 79271A4
http://www.iboats.com/Power-Tilt-Tr...8705590--**********.122909958--view_id.171693

Thanks in advance,
Ron

Hi Ron,

That looks like a fairly good deal. I have also found pretty good deals on ebay for new (old-stock) OEM trim pumps too....

You might also think about replacing/rebuilding the trim cyls. That's probably the source of the water intrusion.

Regards,

Rick

ronsschultz

Cadet

Thanks for the tip. I ordered the Trim/Tilt motor on iboats. Found one on ebay within $2 of price. I also ordered the cylinder rebuild kits. Should have it all in a couple days, will see what happens. Going to work on getting old pump out tonight. Already pulled the cylinders off.

Ron

ronsschultz

Cadet

Can the old Armature be used in the new trim motor? With the new one I bought, the new Armatrure has a shorter impeller on it and does not reach the gear assembly in the valve cover

Ron

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... You probably could, but Why... Return it for the Right 1...

The 1 shown in your link seems to be for an Outboard....
Atleast it appears so to Me..

fishinpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes what bond-o said !

dont want to be mixin n matchin new and old electricals any way ,too much chance of it not working or failing soon !

fish

ronsschultz

Cadet

Ya I know, just anxious to get out on the water. I just started vacation today and this dang pump has my boat down. Actually looking at a couple other options. Heading to local marine place near the house in the morning, they have some used ones where I may be able to find a motor for mine. Considered buying a rebuilt kit, but cannot find a # on my motor and not sure which kit would be compatible.

Ron

ronsschultz

Cadet

I ended up finding a full trim motor/pump at my local marine store. Was not happy with the price, but got me going. Its the identical one I took out of my boat. Returning the one I bought off iboats.

Ron