How to Remove 1960s Evinrude 75hp Lower Unit Drive Shaft

boldtr

Cadet
I have a 1960s 75hp Evinrude lower unit with a broken drive shaft at the upper splines. How do I remove the drive shaft from the bearing that sits directly below the water pump. Can this be driven out?...from "top to bottom" or "bottom to top". I want to make sure this can be done without causing damage to the bearing. I would like to replace the drive shaft with a good spare I have from another lower unit.

There appears to be a collar on the shaft below the bearing. This makes me think it should move from top to bottom. See pics attached. Thanks!

Attachments

• Upper Half of Lower Unit.JPG
    Upper Half of Lower Unit.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Broken Drive Shaft.JPG
    Broken Drive Shaft.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Drive Shaft Bearing .JPG
    Drive Shaft Bearing .JPG
    109 KB · Views: 0
  • Upper Half Bottom.JPG
    Upper Half Bottom.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Drive Shaft Bottom Inside.JPG
    Drive Shaft Bottom Inside.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to Remove 1960s Evinrude 75hp Lower Unit Drive Shaft

I have a 1960s 75hp Evinrude lower unit with a broken drive shaft at the upper splines. How do I remove the drive shaft from the bearing that sits directly below the water pump. Can this be driven out?...from "top to bottom" or "bottom to top". I want to make sure this can be done without causing damage to the bearing. I would like to replace the drive shaft with a good spare I have from another lower unit.

There appears to be a collar on the shaft below the bearing. This makes me think it should move from top to bottom. See pics attached. Thanks!

That type arrangement was only used one year--1960. Remove the snap ring and bump the whole shaft and bearing assembly out of the case. Then support the inner race of the bearing and press the shaft down out of it. Don't lose the shim(s).

boldtr

Cadet

Hello F_R,

By shims do you mean the 20 cylindrical rollers that ride around the pinion gear?

This unit has a two piece drive shaft with a connecting piece that connects the lower unit to the crank. Was this changed to a single piece drive shaft, both regular and long offerings after 1960?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Hello F_R,

By shims do you mean the 20 cylindrical rollers that ride around the pinion gear?

This unit has a two piece drive shaft with a connecting piece that connects the lower unit to the crank. Was this changed to a single piece drive shaft, both regular and long offerings after 1960?

No, there are thin shim washers between the ball bearing and the shoulder on the shaft. They adjust the gear backlash. They come in various thicknesses.

The two piece shaft was only used in 1960. From 1961-up the shaft was one piece and the bearings were different.

boldtr

Cadet

Great info. Thanks for your help!

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Do you have a spare 1960 driveshaft or newer?

boldtr

Cadet

Hello Evinrude Boater,

I have a 1965 Johnson 60hp long single drive shaft outboard (VXL-11C). I also have this 1960 Evinrude 75hp (long two shaft) lower unit with both upper and lower unit drive shafts.

I was hoping my 1960 envinrude lower unit will fit on the 1965 Johnson power head. I only have the 1960 envinrude lower unit as the boat, and power head are still in storage 1.5 hours away.

If the 1960 two shaft lower unit will not fit on the 1965 Johnson power head, I will have both 1960 lower and upper shafts to spare. I will likely still keep the lower half of the gearcase as I assume the pinion gear will still engage with the 1965 single long shaft if i bolt the studs onto the upper half of a 1961 or newer lower unit.