Replacing cam shaft for MCM 170

jepp

Recruit
First time on this site. lots of info. I want to say hello. I'm getting ready to replace the cam shaft on my 1986 MCM 170 engine and was wondering if someone can help me with a list of parts and kits needed to complete this job. Also if there are any special tools needed. I'm fairly knowledgable in the mechanical side of the job but have been out of the marine repair business for quite some time don't want to be running back and forth for parts.

My list so far:

cam shaft and bearings (if needed)
front water jacket seal kit
valve cover gasket kit

Thanks in advance.

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: Replacing cam shaft for MCM 170

Why are you replacing it? And the cam rides directly on the aluminum bores in the block,so unless it been run out of oil they should be fine. Dont forget a lifter cover gasket set and fuel pump gasket also. 'nutcase

jepp

Recruit

The front seal that seperates the water jacket and the crank case, cut a groove into the cam shaft. When I first bought the boat I put a sleeve over the cam shaft and found an over sized seal. Worked for a little while but I have been nursing it for quit awhile. Boat is down for refurbishment, so I decided to repair the motor while it is out. Yep forgot about the fuel pump. Thanks for the help.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

and with a new cam its possible for the cam base circle to change meaning valve lash check will be mandatory.
read about how to check it and post with any questions.

jepp

Recruit

Yep, familiar with that task. Thanks for your help.