Staining a boat floor?

anthony7

Cadet
I'm toying with the idea of staining my plywood floor and then just throwing an epoxy over it to waterproof it. I think it would look nice because the runabout has some wooden trim I'm gonna redo with the same color stain. Has anyone done this you know of or have any examples/thought? Thanks.

The boat is a 1969 Glassmaster Runabout about 15-16 feet with a 35hp evinrude lark, I'll try to get some pics up after it stops raining.

89nissanbassboat

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Staining a boat floor?

My boat has 2 floor drains, one fore and one aft...sealing the new hole with epoxy should work fine...the trick would be to make sure the floor drain has sides that will go beyond the wood deck thickness, this way the water will drain and drip below the bottom deck level...avoiding any water that may want to weep along the underside of your deck...the deck drains will also speed up water evaporation that is left in the bilge after pumping and allow better air circulation...sounds like a nice improvement:D

anthony7

Cadet

Actually I was toying with the idea of some sort of drainage vents in the front and back perhaps 2 long ones on the sides. Thanks. Anyone else?

Bondo

Staff member

I'm toying with the idea of staining my plywood floor and then just throwing an epoxy over it to waterproof it.

Ayuh,... The 1st glitch I see is,... Epoxy won't take Sunlight,+ needs to be painted to protection it...

anthony7

Cadet

See this is exactly why I posted lol. Now should I paint it + carpet it then? or would painting suffice? I work at an auto body garage, but I've never touched anything marine before so I'm sure theres a lot I don't know.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

A lot of us HATE carpet in boats. I put it in my last one and will never again. Always filthy. I'd go with marine vinyl, paint, or a non-skid product like Durbak, Kiwi Grip, etc.

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

skip the carpet, decks die quicker w/ carpet on them, snap in for when you go out seems ok, just remember to remove when you store the boat, i am not a fan of carpet in boats, id paint it w/ a good grade paint probly cheaper than carpet as well. your deck will thank you.