prop safety switch?

atldirtybird

Recruit
hi guys 1st post but been picking up lots of info on here ,thanks for the site very helpful! but just got my first boat cobia i/o here is the stupid ? of the day im almost positive that there is some kind of safety device that does not allow the prop to rotate while on muffs am i correct or do i have problems? thanks again love this site.

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: prop safety switch?

There is a kill switch at the throttle connected to a lanyard you clip to your PFD, but never saw anything to prevent engaging forward or reverse while on muffs.

You will have an interlock on the throttle that has to be engaged to shift out of neutral.

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What he said^^^^^.

If your prop is spinning you aren't in neutral, you are in gear.

fishinpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes follow the above >>> and when you get it togoin gear on the muffs DO -NOT BE -REVVING the engine!

fish

Bondo

Staff member

here is the stupid ? of the day im almost positive that there is some kind of safety device that does not allow the prop to rotate while on muffs am i correct

Nope,... No such thing...

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

On muffs the prop could turn in neutral.The gears are allways spinnig freely on the prop shaft the movement of the gears may cause the prop to rotate. On rare occasions the prop may rotate very very slowly in neutral in the water.
There is no safety device to prevent shifting into gear.

atldirtybird

Recruit

thanks for the replys,maybe i phrased my question wrong,what i really need to know is how to tell if my prop is turning, when on muffs and in neutral i know it should not be turning should i be able to put in gear and see it turning or do i need to be under load, iwas just thinking that i might have to be in water for it to spin thanks again

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You can put it in gear when on the muffs just use some common sense and keep everyone and everything away from the prop.YOU WON'T GET A SECOND CHANCE!!!

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

Your prop should definetely spin when running on water muffs if you put it in gear. If it doesn't, you've got problems. Should spin one way in forward, opposite way in reverse. And it will rotate faster and slower as you give and let off gas. Just don't over rev on muffs. Mine spins in neutral also while on muffs but very slowly. Not sure if it's cuz of vibration, the water stream hitting it or what but it does spin slowly. Once you see it in gear and neutral you can easily tell the difference. Like others said....STAY AWAY from the prop any time motor is running. Even idling in gear I'm sure that prop could do some damage.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I have a hunch he is saying the boat is in neutral but that the prop is still spinning a bit. That can happen but it is due to the internal friction and movement of the lubricant in the lower unit. It would never be enough to push the boat if it was in the water. The idea when running on muffs is to 1) make sure the boat is in neutral (it won't actually start if it isn't) 2) Keep kids, pets, and other inquisitive people out of the boat and away from it when you are running it in the yard. That is just simple, anti-stupid preventive action. 3) Never rev the engine more the 1500 RPM on muffs and 4) Keep clear of the prop yourself.

shuswap119

Seaman

Bird, is your question,
Should the prop spin while on the muffs? It sounds like yours doesn't. In gear the prop should spin, in neutral it may.

Regards,

atldirtybird

Recruit

yes sir that is my question put it on muffs a little ago put in gear engine revs prop does not spin at all no sound like its engageing or anything it seems that i have a problem? outdrive looks great on the outside but i know that dont matter could it be some kind of linkage or what thanks

shuswap119

Seaman

Hey bird, I don't have an answer but I thought it was important to clear up the question. Good luck, I'm sure there is someone here that will help you out.

Regards,

Bondo

Staff member

outdrive looks great on the outside but i know that dont matter could it be some kind of linkage or what

Ayuh,... Without even a Hint of exactly What motor,+ drive,...
Answers are goin' ta be Slim...