Yamaha 2001 XL Wave Runner Loss of Power

DANNYOG

Recruit
Started noticing lose of power. Check impellar it looked alright. Took to local repair shop and they stated that it was the Intermediate shaft housing. Questions: Is this a major repair and could it be something else, what would be the trouble shooting plan to come up with this diagnosis? Also could thsi have been prevented with some sort of maintenance? Awesome Forum!! Thank You!!

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Yamaha 2001 XL Wave Runner Loss of Power

it is a coupler with splines and it is a normal maintenance item so if you need it replaced get it replaced before you get stranded,, you could buy a repair manual and see if you think you can do it yourself,, you will need to remove the pump.

DANNYOG

Recruit

Thanx Jeff,

I was interested in how the shop diagnois the Intermediate shaft housing i.e. "Bearing Housing" going bad.

If it was loss of power I would think impeller first. If you can see light between the Impellar and the housing, is that a sign for a new imppeler??

It runs at full RPM's so that would eliminate any carburator problem.

We run the ski in and out of the surf with lots of sand getting into the impellar could sand have damaged the shaft housing splines?

Thanx again !!!!!

Last edited:

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

not usually,,, the splines wear out when the bearings get bad and the part needs to be replaced he diagnosed it because he knew what to check and what wears out.. he probably checked the impeller and wear ring and learned that they were ok,, sea doo has a pto on their engines that looses it's splines if water gets in and it causes a similar issue so it isn't uncommon