Thermostat Help

huskerdaninva

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here I am again begging for help! :eek: Does anyone have, or know where to find, the part number for a thermostat for a 1969 70 hp #7071? All the numbers I find are for the small 1" diameter thermostats (Like Sierra #18-3553) and the reference lists don't go back any further than 1977. Mine is a large thermostat about 2" in diameter.
I'm starting to think I'll just keep my old one, clean it up and re-use it if it passes the pan of hot water test. One thing I have learned doing my pre-season maintenance on this motor...once you have correct part numbers keep a list!!! Thanks in advance.
Dan

Last edited:

huskerdaninva

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Thermostat Help

Oh yeah, I'm VERY familiar with Franz! I'm embarrassed to even email him again. That man spent so much time last summer for FREE with me via email getting this old motor running it was sickening. (I ended up using his advice/diagnosis and buying used parts on ebay. Didn't spend a dime with him and he didn't even care, was more concerned about helping me get the motor running. A CLASS act!) Between him and Frank and a few others it was virtual hand holding.
I guess I'll have to impose on him and his expertise again, the least I can do is buy a thermostat from the man. Although, my current one is cleaning up nicely. :)

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Thermostat Help

If you know the exact diameter and temperature rating, you may be able to find a substitute. I think the standard diameter for the 70 and higher horsepower Force motors is 1 3/8 inches. They have them rated at 100, 130 and 143 degrees.