Question from a newbie, what motor is this?

jon_boat

Cadet
Hello all, I'm in the process of getting a 14ft flat bottom from a friend and it has this outboard with it. I was guessing it was around a 60's model Sea King but I know nothing about outboards. My friend said he thought it was a 12 hp. Any help is greatful, thanks!
boatmotor.jpg

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: Question from a newbie, what motor is this?

Evinrude...probably a Fastwin 15 or 18 hp...from the 50's.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Agree it is probably an OMC-made outboard from the 50s or early 60s, but I think it is Gale or Sea King.

When you get a look at the model number plate, tell us the model number. Then we can nail it.

jon_boat

Cadet

Agree it is probably an OMC-made outboard from the 50s or early 60s, but I think it is Gale or Sea King.

When you get a look at the model number plate, tell us the model number. Then we can nail it.

I finally got the boat and motor. I found the plate and it is a Gale. I found the model and serial numbers

Model # 12015B
Serial # 653104

Is there a way to find out specifically what hp and what year this motor is by using these numbers? Thanks again for the help.

edit: I did a little research and I think I found out a few things. It looks like the "0" in the model number is actually a "D". I found it may be a Buccaneer made in 1957 and is a 12 hp motor. Anyone else find the same?

jbjennings

Captain

I'm suprised! The cowl is from an evinrude, as is the tiller grip. I wouldn't have thought an evinrude cowl would fit on a gale. Everything I saw pointed to a '57-'58 evinrude fastwin.
Interesting,
JBJ

jon_boat

Cadet

I was looking at that myself. I never found a Gale outboard that looked exactly like that but if you look at the cowl on a 57 Evinrude 15hp, it's the same. The plate on the body of the outboard though says Gale, Made in Galesburg, Illinois with the model and serial numbers on it. I don't know. I'm going to get it running good either way and make it look nice. Thanks for all the help.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Gale used a lot of parts that they shared with JohnnyRudes, including some cowlings.

Probably shares a lot of other parts with FasTwins and Johnny FDs