1999 90hp Merc ELPTO - Trim/tilt "up" problem

tmljunkmail

Seaman
As stated I have a 1999 90hp Merc ELPTO with a trim problem. I will do my best to explain it here and what I have done to try to correct it.

In short....there are times when the "up" trim button does not work at all. DOWN always works but UP does not from time to time. TYPICALLY when UP is not working i can just tap the DOWN trim for a second and then UP will work just fine again.

So here are some things about my boat and that I have checked.

Its a 1999 Ranger bass boat (doubt that matters much). It has trim switches at the bow, throttle, and engine. As near as I can tell the problem is NOT....repeat NOT....with a switch because when it is acting up it happens to ALL THREE switches at the same time. Also I can correct the problem with the quick DOWN then UP sequence from all three switches.

When it does happen the DOWN works fine. The UP just makes a click but nothing else happens.

I'm sure its the same on most all Merc engines but I have two wires coming out of the tilt motor and into the engine housing. Blue and green. Near as I can tell Blue is DOWN and Green is UP.

I've checked and double checked all of the connections and they seem to be fine.

Interestingly.....when its glitching and wont go UP......i can cross the connections between the green and blue wires and now a press of the down button WILL send the unit UP and I will get a click with pressing the UP button.

So here is what I THINK so far......hoping someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I do NOT think its a relay or solonoid because if that was bad it wouldn't work at all.

I am thinking that its maybe a trim positional limiter (which someone had mentioned may be on this type of engine). The working theory is that the engine is getting confused and thinks it has been tilted to its upper limit. Once I kick it down some it says "ok now you can go up".

If this is true....where do I find this sensor....and how do I fix it.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1999 90hp Merc ELPTO - Trim/tilt "up" problem

The cowl switch work?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

...I'm sure its the same on most all Merc engines but I have two wires coming out of the tilt motor and into the engine housing. Blue and green. Near as I can tell Blue is DOWN and Green is UP.

Blue is the colour of the sky, so is UP, green is the colour of grass, so is DOWN.

tmljunkmail said:
I've checked and double checked all of the connections and they seem to be fine.

Interestingly.....when its glitching and wont go UP......i can cross the connections between the green and blue wires and now a press of the down button WILL send the unit UP and I will get a click with pressing the UP button.

Which blue and green wires, small ones (from the switches) or large ones from the trim motor?

tmljunkmail said:
So here is what I THINK so far......hoping someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I think you just proved you have a bad solenoid.

I do NOT think its a relay or solonoid because if that was bad it wouldn't work at all.

I am thinking that its maybe a trim positional limiter (which someone had mentioned may be on this type of engine). The working theory is that the engine is getting confused and thinks it has been tilted to its upper limit. Once I kick it down some it says "ok now you can go up".

Two things here.... 1. Engines can't think (but that's also true for a lot of people so I guess it's not really a valid comment :D) 2. No trim limit switch on these engines....

tmljunkmail said:
If this is true....where do I find this sensor....and how do I fix it.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Both the UP and DOWN solenoids are the same... Just as a test go out and swap the solenoids... If it keeps doing it on the UP, you know it's not the solenoid.... Yes, that a valid troubleshooting technique. Ruling out things is just as important as finding the faulty part. If you can hear the click of the solenoid and you have ruled out the solenoid (by swapping with a known good one) then there is only one thing left, the trim motor itself....

Welcome to troubleshooting 101.. :D:D:D

Chris..........

Chris.......

tmljunkmail

Seaman

Thanks for the detailed response.

Ok......so I will try to switch out the solenoids. I'm pretty darn handy but this is my first Merc. Are the solenoides the two square objects I am seeing generally next to (behind) the cowling switch?

As far as which wires I was switching them out at the leads coming in from the motor. So they would be the large ones. I guess I had it mixed up from memory.

One more thing....I doubt this will help....but who knows. I was on the water today and for some reason it won't trim up under speed. Perhaps its not doing it all the time....this was the first day out....but it seemed that way.

tmljunkmail

Seaman

Ok Chris.....thanks to your detailed advice......I was able to swap out the two solenoids and the problem was the exact opposite. Now DOWN is giving me trouble.

So what has this told me? That I need to replace the solenoid?

Thanks so much for the help.

Tim

fishinpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

You already knew that when you first switched the wire and the down button made it go up ! that could have been the end of your troubleshooting right there ....

Solenoid Bad !

fish

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Ok Chris.....thanks to your detailed advice......I was able to swap out the two solenoids and the problem was the exact opposite. Now DOWN is giving me trouble.

So what has this told me? That I need to replace the solenoid?...

Yep... Part number for the solenoid is -828151A1... (they call it a relay)

Chris...

tmljunkmail

Seaman

Got the new relays amd all is well now. Thanks everyone for the help as always.