transum saver tiller

pttp08

Cadet
can you use a transum saver on a tiller? I take long road trips up to the lake and I would like to take sum on the stress of the back end a lil. Some of the roads are not the best I go down is there a brand the pro's such as your self would recommend? again thank you for your thoughts!

Thank a veteran today! we have our freedom because of these brave men and women!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: transum saver tiller

I don't see why it would not work. Use the type with the bungee strap on the motor end and the pin attachment to the trailer frame.That way it can't bounce and fall off.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Probably not neccessary; the transom can take it better than the trailer. Especially with a small motor.

The use of those devices has been debated and I am on the side that no one needs them. Others disagree, especially those who have always used them.

Boat/motor?

grumman16

Recruit

Probably not neccessary; the transom can take it better than the trailer. Especially with a small motor.

The use of those devices has been debated and I am on the side that no one needs them. Others disagree, especially those who have always used them.

Boat/motor?

I had to make a new account as I haveing trouble replying and logging on I hope this helps. I have a grumman 16 aluminum with 3 benches and i installed a deck up front with a the max hp for this boat 35 evinrude ss

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

use a transom saver if you need to tilt the motor.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

Assuming your talking about a tiller outboard and not a sailboat rudder, Absolutely. The motor mounting bracket and transom can take a beating on rough roads regardless of motor size. Just afew years ago I had a 6 hp 2 stroke (55#) bend the top edge of a 14' aluminum boat transom after hitting some major potholes in NE Maine.

A transom save may not be the only tool but I believe it's important to keep the motor from banging around.

FWIW, My current ride is a 16' aluminum with a 30 hp 4 stroke and I use a transom saver religiously for both ground clearence and wear/tear / shock on the motor.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

First -- if you can trailer with the engine tilted down you don't need one since all forces are vertical and therefore don't pose a problem. If you must trailer with the engine tilted up using the tilt lock, the tilt lock on an outboard is not intended for trailering and they can break, dropping the engine to the road. The principle of a transom saver is to tie the boat, the engine and the trailer together as a single unit. Therefore all forces, including the twisting forces on the transom are transfered to the trailer and the springs that support it. The transom saver also prevents the tilted up motor from flopping from side to side as most tiller outboards tend to do. If you don't believe you need one, have someone else drive your rig on a very rough road while you follow. Lastly, a transom saver does no good whatsoever, and can even cause damage if you don't strap the boat down securely.

WARNING: NEVER attach the trailer end of a transom saver to the axle.