PLS help - '83 Evinrude 25HP Tiller

Hi All,

Tom here. I'm losing my mind. I purchased a 14' Flare (Lake Wales) V-hull skiff about a year ago - came with trailer and a great Evinrude '83 25hp tiller motor. Never had any problems - I re-hubbed the prop after an incident in a lake and mostly use it in the Gulf of Mexico - been island hopping and fishing many times, always flush the motor and clean the carb OCD style every time. Recently it had been about 2 months since I took it out so I pulled out of the garage, flushed the motor really well and put it back in the garage (florida environment, although it has been in the 30s/40s the past couple weeks. So, I'm in the garage tonight and go to touch the prop with love, it doesn't turn. It's stuck and requires a lot of force to make it more. I panic, take the "hood-lid" off, it won't pull - I'm not trying to start it dry, just see if it will give so I know it's okay. Doesn't move more than a tiny bit with A LOT more work than it usually takes. I don't know how this could happen - I flushed her 2 - 3 weeks ago and it ran perfect, started on second pull, now I can barely pull the cord without snapping it.. Add to that, I have a concern, not based on entirely legitimate concerns, but my roommate has issues and I say there's a 33% chance he sabotaged it. I don't even know how he'd learn but he's a musician and only works 12 hrs a week and I'm sure there's plenty of time to google stuff. I took the prop off, no prob. No rust, nothing. I flushed it in fresh-water from the hose. 3 weeks ago, tops - it ran great. Has anyone ever encountered this? Could he have sabotaged and if so, how? How can I tell? What do I do? I'm freaking out. I cleared my savings for the 2k this thing cost me and the thought of having nothing to show kills me.... PLEASE, any suggestion / information would be appreciated. Please!

-Tom

jasper60103

Commander
Re: PLS help - '83 Evinrude 25HP Tiller

Tom,
make sure the motor is in neutral. I have the same motor and it will not pull over in gear. Also, the prop would be hard to turn in gear as well.
Good luck.

JDusza

Ensign
Re: PLS help - '83 Evinrude 25HP Tiller

Hi, Tom. Don't panic!
If this thing ran a few weeks ago, it'll run again.
I ditto the gear shift. Won't turn easliy in gear.
Put the thing in neutral, try again, if not, pull the plugs and try again without compression. Should spin free.
If it doesn't spin free in neutral, without compression, then you have to find what's binding the crank.
J