non-working gauges

canoboy1983

Cadet
I have a 89 wellcraft with a 85hp force and the only gauge on the dash that works is the speedo. Where should I start to fix the others? temp, horn, bilge, lights, battery? thanks in advance.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: non-working gauges

There is a diagram (sticky title "Generic Boat Wiring") at the very top of this forum. But since none of the gauges work, +12 volts or ground has been lost to the gauges. Get out the voltmeter. +12 volts to the gauges comes from the "A" (accessory) terminal on the ignition switch. Ground is -- well -- ground wherever you find it. The reason the speedo works is because it is not electric.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

silvertip knows his stuff. as a recent new boat owner{86 sylvan} I have found Iboats most helpful. I found my fuses under engine cover, this harness is where you will find your fuses. these guys will get you the help you need.

captainbirdseye

Recruit

I had a similar problem, on my cuddy with none of the gauges working, i used a multi meter to try and find the problem but it took me forever sticking my head under the dash, i ended up getting a 12V bulb and soldering a wire to the bottom and side contact of the bulb. As i was working with my head under the dash with not much light, i just connected the negative side to the common ground bar where all the black cables meet so i didnt need to hold it and started to touch all the red cables with the the other wire of my bulb so i could find where i had power quickly when the bulb lit up and give me some extra light to trace the wire.

Sometime technology dosen't win.

sbklf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sometimes they use a Molex or that style of a multiple pin connector to allow for easy removal of the entire switch or gauge panel. If you have that you might check all of those connections for oxidation.