Putting a name on my boat

Johnshan1

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I figured it was time to name my boat, this is what I have come up with:

name.jpg

A couple questions- how high do I need the resolution of the image to send to the decal shop? The one above is a bit choppy for some reason the upload lowered the resolution, the one on my machine looks a lot better.

Should I set my homeport to where I keep my boat or should I put my hometown (not on the ocean)?

Thanks for any input!

wa_ssv197

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Putting a name on my boat

I think that's cool with the fish hook being the "J"

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Check with your sign shop, they may want it in a PDF format. (mine did)

Johnshan1

Thanks guys. The idea of the fishhook for the J was from my dockmaster, so I cant take all the credit!

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

The sign shop I dealt with just wanted the name and the font that you like. They then wanted to know height and width for the decal.

Their machines don't concern with resolution as much as you think. the software compensates for the resolution.

My boat name is 4 feet long and 16 inches tall and came out perfect. I would recommend "shadowing" in a darker color if it's going on a white hull to really make the name stand out. Get online and look at some samples. My sign shop also made me 4 smaller decals (roughly 12" x 4") for free, as it was just going to be waste material anyway. They're great for throwables, inflatables, or any number of uses.

Johnshan1

I am just concerned with the amount of room I have- only 24w x 6h doesnt net much room.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

I am just concerned with the amount of room I have- only 24w x 6h doesnt net much room.

tell the vinyl shop that. thats what i did, gave them dimensions,color, and lettering. They sent me the font choices they had also, and i picked one. they emailed me a proposed image and it worked perfect. Its still on the boat now.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

I could be wrong cause I'm not a deep/blue water sailor, but I think you're supposed to put your home port with the name...wherever your boat lives most of the time.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

The Vinyl they use today is pretty good, but it won't last forever. There's nothing like the classic look of real mahogany.

Attachments

• IMG_0228B.jpg
    IMG_0228B.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 0

Johnshan1

Wood just doesnt go with my boat, but thats a good point.

Okay I have taken out the hailing port due to space issues and here are my 2 options:

name4.jpg

Or

name3.jpg

What do you guys like better?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

First one. NICE boat by the way. I think putting your hometown underneath it in small letters is also neat.

Johnshan1

Thanks it's a 2000 Larson, my pride and joy!