newbie here

gilby1955

Cadet
Guys and or gals, I just got out of the fish and ski world and into the toon world. I bought a new to me 2000 Suntracker Bass Buggy 18 to fish from. I need some advice on a couple of things. Is it better to replace the snaps on a cover yourslef and place the snaps on the boat yourself, the cover was given to me the boat has not had a snap on cover before, or pay someone else to do it. Can I move the three batteries from under the seat to the deck opposite the gas tank. This would be taking the batteries from under the seat and moving them to the opposite side of the railing, same side of the boat just back about the linth of the batteries. will this mess up the balance of this 18 footer. I have the all of seats at the uphoister now and that was a deal. Getting them covered for 800 where new was going to cost me 1500. Any and all suggetions are greatly welcomed and appreciated.

Bill

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: newbie here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the forum and to the pontoon family.

Guys and or gals, I just got out of the fish and ski world and into the toon world. I bought a new to me 2000 Suntracker Bass Buggy 18 to fish from. I need some advice on a couple of things. Is it better to replace the snaps on a cover yourslef and place the snaps on the boat yourself, the cover was given to me the boat has not had a snap on cover before, or pay someone else to do it.
They are very easy to change or install yourself. The tool is not expensive. I have done away with all snaps and use the twisties. These are much easier on old arthritic fingers. They cost more but are well worth it to me.

Can I move the three batteries from under the seat to the deck opposite the gas tank. This would be taking the batteries from under the seat and moving them to the opposite side of the railing, same side of the boat just back about the linth of the batteries. will this mess up the balance of this 18 footer.
No problem but many here, including me, might be curious why you would want to do so.

I have the all of seats at the uphoister now and that was a deal. Getting them covered for 800 where new was going to cost me 1500. Any and all suggetions are greatly welcomed and appreciated.
The only suggestion I have here is to enjoy the toon and check back here often with updates and questions. Lots of talent hangs out here.

gilby1955

Cadet

thanks EZ, tell me more about twist ties, my old senile mind goes to bread ties when i think about twist ties. The reason for thinking about oving the batteries was to use that area for storage. I came her because of the vast wealth of knowledge, i will be here most everyday fro now on checking in on advice frem the masters.

thanks
Bill

Jeep Man

Commander

First off, welcome to the forum. Secondly, if the 1955 in your handle indicates the year you joined the human race, then be careful about what you say about senile minds. There are many of us of the same generation. Thirdly,.............I forgot what I was talking about.............I hate that!

gilby1955

Cadet

I joined this race in 1949. The 1955 is how many times I have kicked my self for marrying the 2nd wife. I consider myself somewhat senile to have gotten married three times and especially to the 2nd one. :confused:

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

They are not 'twist ties' but I don't know the exact name. I called them twisties for a lack of better name.

Others may chime in with the exact name.

Until then, there is an oblong female stainless opening about 1/2 inch long in the canvas. On the boat is a corresponding male insert that you insert in the female opening and then simply twist it to secure the connection.

You can find these at a local canvas shop or West Marine and probably many other places.

gilby1955

Cadet

thanks, I will go to West online and look for them, sounds better than the button snaps.

dodger11

Seaman Apprentice

Welcome to iboats and the pontoon forum!
My cover has straps and buckles. I find it quite easy to tighten and loosen up. Snaps are always a problem if cover shrinks any as it gets older.

bill and doris

Seaman Apprentice

Be aware that either the snaps or "twist" require that there be something mounted on the toon. So out comes the drill. You can buy brass grommets that come with a tool that you can mount along the side of the cover. Then you can use truck tarp rubber cords to hold it tight. If you buy long ones they will make it to the trailer frame. I buy my boat covers from a place that makes trailer tarps for 18 wheelers and they put loops in the cover and use those to tie the cover to the trailer. they also have a draw cord around the cover. They refuse to try to match existing snaps. Most places are the same so when the cover needs to be replaced either more get put on or they use a different system.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

put grommets in cover, and bungee to the trailer frame.

First of all welcome to iboats, you'll soon find out how helpfull these members are, so as you have already done,ask away, cause someone is always going to try to help.thats a nice toon you purchased. I'm not just saying that because I own one, but it's great for all kind of things.I do agree with others,that I'm not sure about moving the batteries, I would sure check into that befor you do it.they are alot more secure where they are.As for the top,thats a mater of what works best for you.For me, arther lets me know straps works just great.. Now about that mention of age,I would be careful to say born in 1949 is OLD.:eek:
Jim :D

gilby1955

Cadet

being born in 1949 sure seams old sometimes. Working 12 hour shift dont help either. The gromlets is a great idea, that for the tip. I think i will leave the batteries where they are too. You guys are the greatest.

olefisherman

Cadet

those tuisties you see described are dezuess snaps . prob spelled wrong .
used on alum skinned airplanes . you kids !! i sure enjoy watching youall play. vintage 1936
olefisherman