Cleaning the old grease out of the hubs

SundayMoney

Cadet
I bought a used trailer a while back and decided to look at the condition of the hubs and bearings the other day.

Once I popped the dust caps off I was greeted by some of the nastiest grease I've ever seen. It's tan in color and REALLY tacky and stringy. It reminds me of the cheese on a pizza.

I can't wipe the grease off the bearings enough to get a good look at them so I'm going to just replace them.

The problem lies with the hubs. I don't have any idea as to how I'm going to get all the grease out them.

My dad has a chemical hot tank in his shop that we use for degreasing engine parts,but he isn't sure what the chemical will do to the galvanizing on the hubs.

Do you guys have any ideas what I can use to cut the grease without harming the hubs?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cleaning the old grease out of the hubs

A degreaser is not going to harm the galv. You need to use an acid to remove the galv.

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Milky grease means there's water mixed in there. good thing you caught it now. You'll need to replace that rear seal along with the bearings.

I generally take the cotter pin out, undo the nut, pull the hub off the axle. the front bearing will fall out, and you have to remove the seal in the back to get the back bearing out. Once that's done you can just wipe the gunk out with a rag. If you must you can soak it in some varsole or other solvent.

It's a little tricky getting the outer bearing races out of the hub. You'll need hammer and punch, and tap evenly around the race to get it out. Be careful not to mark the inner surface of the hub itself.

I found a trailer place near my house that sells the parts real cheap, someone like that may help you get the bearings out.

witenite0560

Petty Officer 1st Class

Unless the outer races are galled or pitted, reuse them. Same for the bearings. If you know how to inspect them and what you're looking for. Outer races really shouldn't be beaten in and out anymore than absolutely necessary.

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class

I always replace the bearings and outer race as a set. If the bearing needs it, the chances are the outer race needs it to. Do it right the first time, and keep that grease clean from now on and you won't have to do it again.

just my 2c.

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class

Always replace bearings and the race together. Most times when you buy them they come together anyway. Inspect you bearing rollers and races for pitting or anything unusual. If you don't see anything then reuse them.

Just because there is tan grease in there that does not mean there is water intrusion. If it is milky and thinner, then there is water intrusion. We often use Napa heavy duty wheel bearing grease out of a bulk tub that new looks tan. The stuff is pretty sticky and stringy like you mentioned, kind of like caramel but not as thick. That is really good grease to use.

As for the seals, I always replace the seals when repacking bearings whether it needs them or not. It seems in the past when I tried to use the old ones over then they would end up leaking. I don't even mess around anymore and I just replace the seals.

For cleaning the old grease out I use a parts washer with mineral spirits or in a pinch a good can of carb, brake, or parts cleaner will do the trick.

SundayMoney

Cadet

When I said the grease looks nasty,I didn't mean it looked like it was bad. I meant that its really difficult to work with. Being as tacky and stringy as it is,it gets everywhere. Clean-up is a PITA also.

Basically I want to start from scratch with a grease thats easier to work with. I just need to figure out how to get the old grease cleaned up.

Maybe I will just throw them in the hot tank. I found new galvanized hubs with bearings,races,and seal for about $35 per side. If the hot tank damages the old hubs I won't be out much if I have to replace them.

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class

The hot tank should not damage them at all. We have a Cuda Hot parts washer here at work and thats what it is made for. I have heard of certain solvants that will start to eat at aluminum if left in too long, but won't touch steel or cast iron. You should have no problems.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

When you replace the bearings be sure to use marine grade wheel bearing grease. It is formulated to work in a wet environment without getting thick and lumpy. Some bearing grease when it gets water intrusion will actually separate from the bearings, leaving them dry enough to burn out. (At least this is what I have read in all my "trailing bibles".)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I would take the bearings and hub to a local garage and ask them to clean the parts in their parts cleaner. They should not charge much for that service, and then you can get the bearig numbers off the bearings and order the right parts from iboats.

nlain

Commander

Just be careful wiping around in those hubs to remove the old grease, sometimes there are jagged edges that will rip a finger and hurt like, well you know. That grease sounds like the old fashion wheel bearing grease, mineral spirits and a brush should work wonders on it. Bearings and races should always be replaced as a set, like stated above.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

plastic garbage sacks, latex gloves, disposable rags, and a bit of time to get them cleaned out. Then you can use carb cleaner or brake parts cleaner to get them dialed in to a point where you can work on them..

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

put 2 gallons of kerosene in a 5 gallon bucket.... pull hubs and scoop out as much grease as you can and put them in the kerosene... pop the lid on and swirl around a bit.... go eat lunch and come back and swirl it some more... when you pull them out they should be much cleaner.... and easier to clean up

that said: if the grease is clean and ample and you have no problems, leave it alone and go boating..... If you make a habit of putting your habd on each hub when you get gas or get to the lake you will know if you have bearing issues before they actually fail..... cold is great slightly warm is fine but uncomfortably hot needs attention and painfully hot or smoking it's toasted and needs fixed asap

Bondo

Staff member

When I said the grease looks nasty,I didn't mean it looked like it was bad. I meant that its really difficult to work with. Being as tacky and stringy as it is,it gets everywhere. Clean-up is a PITA also.

Ayuh,... That my friend is Exactly what good old fashioned Wheel Bearing Grease is Supposed to look like,+ act like....

Smoke's got the right Idea,... A plastic bucket(with a tight fittin' lid), 1/2 full of Kero, or Diesel....
I'd start with a putty knife,+ ole rags,...
Then dip it,+ Brush the 'ell outa it with a STIFF bristle brush...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

So what do you do with 2 gallons of greasy kerosene after you are done with it?

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

put the lid back on it and save it for next time. or you can just dispose of it like waste oil. i myself use brake clean and an oil drain bucket/pan. when im done I pour it into my 5 gal waste oil bucket. I have about 4 cases of brake clean left from when I was an auto tech, 9 years ago. you can also semi recycle your solvent by pouring it through a funnel with old bed sheet as a filter as it will pull out any clumps or debris

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

So what do you do with 2 gallons of greasy kerosene after you are done with it?

what he said ^ take it to a parts store and dump it in the recycling tank....
OR it works well to light a bonfire with...... I have two buckets... I use a bungee to secure a t shirt or bed sheet in a cupped position across the opening of the second bucket and filter the kero into the other bucket and snap on the lid for next time...... when it is just too thick and nasty to work with recycle it and get a couple more gallons

DaveyHAZZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

id soak them in gasoline. always works for me.. swirl em around a bit. tell me how it goes

ezwitter

Seaman

theres always harbour freight cheap parts washers for home use

fishrdan

Admiral

Here's what I do... wipe off the clumps of old grease with paper towels then dunk the bearings and other HW in a coffee can with 1" of solvent. Roll the bearings every so often and swish it around, they should come out sparkly clean. Place the hub on another coffee can and use a brush to wash out the inside of the hub, flip it over and wash out the other side of the hub. Uses a minimal amount of solvent and gets the job done. For solvent I use what ever I have handy, paint thinner, lacquer thinner, acetone, carb cleaner...