forward, neutral or reverse?

canoboy1983

Cadet
I am going to change my impeller on a 89 force 85hp and was wondering, do I just leave it in neutral while changing it or should it be in gear? thanks.

shytownborn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: forward, neutral or reverse?

jerrys right it doesnt matter, when you slide the lower in, the shift rod will adjust to whatever gear its in when you install the carter key

richve

Cadet
Re: forward, neutral or reverse?

Don't know if my two cents will be of any help,but I replaced the water pump on my 1991 70 HP Force last fall. I have the Service Manual for this motor. The manual states to shift into forward gear. That's fine for removing the gear housing however upon reassembly you may need to push up on the upper shift linkage so there is enough room to start all the bolts. Before taking off lower unit I would make some pencil marks on the lower shift linkage.Use the top of the shock mount covers as guide.Shift into each gear and make the mark. Now you know where each gear is if something is moved. The shift rod seal may be a good thing to replace while everythings apart. It's a cheap part and may save a few headaches later.Mine was bad but didn't find out until I changed gears during a pressure test.When the gear case is removed, on top of the drive shaft are a plastic retainer and rubber boot (seal) these will probably come off and get stuck up inside the leg. During reassembly,I was working alone, I used a ratchet tie down strap over the top of the motor and under the gear case to raise it. Their are too many things to align and if the lower unit is dropped an inch ,off comes the two parts on the top of the drive shaft. Also the water tube seal will likely stay on the inside tube.Take it off and put on the gear case tube for reassembly.I believe one end is larger. Hope I helped a little. Good Luck.