Pressure testing and water pump questions.

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have read the shop manual and still have a few questions and appreciate your experience and advice to help me do this properly.

I am getting ready to replace the water pump and impeller on my Gen II. When I pressure test, is it OK to put the gauge on the vent plug and pressurize from the fill plug? I'll pull vacuum also but that's easy to rig. I'll do these before and after.

With the drive off, is there a valve that closes to seal the gear lube monitor tube off or do I need to plug this?

I purchased a new oil seal carrier. Should this be replaced as PM while I'm there or leave it if it's not leaking.

Can I use a grease to hold the quad seal in place or does it need to be adhesive.

Lastly, seal or no seal on the water pump gaskets? The manual says yes.
I appreciate the help.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Pressure testing and water pump questions.

I have read the shop manual and still have a few questions and appreciate your experience and advice to help me do this properly.

I am getting ready to replace the water pump and impeller on my Gen II. When I pressure test, is it OK to put the gauge on the vent plug and pressurize from the fill plug? I'll pull vacuum also but that's easy to rig. I'll do these before and after.
Sure,... No reason why not... By doin' both on the same end, a cup of oil won't interfere...Only 1 adapter, vs. 2 as well...

With the drive off, is there a valve that closes to seal the gear lube monitor tube off or do I need to plug this?
Yes,...

I purchased a new oil seal carrier. Should this be replaced as PM while I'm there or leave it if it's not leaking.
??

Can I use a grease to hold the quad seal in place or does it need to be adhesive.
I do, but ya gotta be Careful it stays put, Don,+ others advocate Glue...

Lastly, seal or no seal on the water pump gaskets? The manual says yes.
I appreciate the help.

Ayuh,... Lastly,.... Your Choice on gluin' things together or not....

Good Luck...

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Bond-O,
Not sure what you meant about the oil seal carrier. I am referring to the oil seals and O ring below the water pump area and above the bearing of the driveshaft. Is this worth replacing while doing the rest of the pump?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... It's All included with the Full Kit, pump body 'n All...
If the lower body/ cover is in good shape,.. Your call again...
If ya got it, it'll work better in the drive, than on a shelf...