Sirius Radio Attena mount location on Runabout?

koko1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am getting a Tahoe SF this Friday and am going to equip it with Sirius. My question is where do most people with runabouts mount their antenna? I have several regular sirius car antenna's, has anyone successfully mounted one of those on a boat? Just trying to get out of buying a marine antenna if one I already have can work. Also if you mounted yours with a marine antenna, where on your runabout did you put it?

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sirius Radio Attena mount location on Runabout?

Yeah the auto mag mounts work fine, cept you won't likely find anywhere magnetic to stick it too. Fortunately a little double sided tape can let you put it anywhere. Remember it needs a clear view of the sky to work...I doubt you'll get much reception if it's under the fibreglass...but you could try. They are water proof, but unsightly...so the choices are yours. I pull my portable starmate outta the truck and just toss the antenae on the sundeck for the day..works fine.

Ian

mciaio

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have my sirius radio in my glovebox. I run the antenna up onto the windshield when using the radio and tuck it back in the glovebox when not using it. No tape, nothing. Just leave it sitting there.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

mine just sit on the dash, i bought a second car set up. so i just pull the head out of the car.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I bought the car kit so I just have to change the head and the antenna I put just in front of the windshield on the passenger side. I used a spot of super glue to keep it in place. The super glue holds it in place and if I decide to take it out it will come off clean.

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

The work fine through any kind of glass, my boat antenna sits inside my dash console out of sight. The one in my Van sits on the dash, never had problems with reception with either install unless I'm in an underground garage in the van or docked under a steel canopy with the boat.