hole repair and reglassing hull

pete44

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Last edited by a moderator:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: hole repair and reglassing hull

Nothing bad there, its a fairly common mistake.

All you need to do is put some tape on the out side and then grind the inside. When it comes time to do the rest of the glass work just put a few layers over this area too.

If you want the out side to look right again you can use some gel coat and do a cosmetic repair.

Spinnaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Grind the area's on the inside to scuff it up good and put 3 layers of 1.5oz on each one an inch larger than the next. The overlap in sizes will give strength to the layup. When you're done with your inside work then concentrate on the outside repair where you'll have to grind it out (dish it) and lay up more mat. We can direct you when you get there. Pretty much what thew last poster is saying.

pete44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys!......Any thoughts if necessary on "re-glassing" the inside of hull while I got it tore down to add strength?

Pete

Spinnaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys!......Any thoughts if necessary on "re-glassing" the inside of hull while I got it tore down to add strength?

Pete

The entire hull? No. You don't need to do that. Just follow the directions these guys give you for installing stringers and your floor. The factory hull thickness will be fine.

FFScott6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hmmm..
So I'm not the only one. Actually I drove 8 screws 1/4" thru the outside setting new box seat supports. A dremel worked perfeectly to grind them back and bit of marine tex and sanding. I'm good to go!

I simply followed threads here and gave it a try.

Good luck on your repair... These folks are great!