1993 Johnson 30HP Water Pump

bahabandit

Cadet
I rebuilt the water pump in my motor and its not putting out any water at all. Before i rebuilt it at idle it would just trickle out water and at full speed it pumped good. Now nothing. Is it clogged? Did i knock something loose? Help would be appreciated.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1993 Johnson 30HP Water Pump

are you sure the water tube connected into the water pump? remove pee hose at the block. and blow out, also clean the fitting it attaches to.
sure key stayed in the impeller.

bahabandit

Cadet

I double checked to make sure the key was in there and took apart the lower unit twice to make sure it was in there. Also, i blew in the pee hose connector. When i blew in it, no air would go in. What would be the best way to clean this out.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Find a wire or similar object to poke down the tube and the water jacket on the head. Sounds like some critters got a nest in there somewhere.:eek:

bahabandit

Cadet

well i got a piece of wire and stuck it in there. Nothing. Its as open as can be. Whats the possibility of the water tube coming undone at the bottom of the powerhead.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

It it did you see water in the lower cowl.

bahabandit

Cadet

No there was no water in the lower cowl. So i guess that rules that out.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

drop lower, attach water hose to water tube, see if you get flow thru motor.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

TD has the right idea. I had the upper grommet on the water tube melt and restrict the water flow. I had a couple spare grommets, so I made this handy artificial water pump. It is an old toilet water supply tubing with the valve and a grommet on the end. Had an old water hose sprayer that I soldered onto the other end. Works purdy good to test a motor without the lower unit on.

01011229.jpg

bahabandit

Cadet

ok i figured it out. Somehow the water tube was popping out whenever i was putting the lower back on. i guess it was slightly bent. Well i got that back on and am in the process of decarbing the motor. Wow did that thing smoke. Thanks for all of the help.