'74 model 140HP Hydraulic Lifters

mariner1900

Seaman
Hi all. I have a 74 model 140HP engine, serial # 3826715.
Have some noisy hydraulic lifters and rather than muck around stripping, cleaning and re-fitting then hoping they then work properly I am going to fit a new set. (yes tappets have been adjusted correctly but still noisy)

The original lifters appears to have been replaced by a new style lifter, P/N 72638. This hydraulic lifter appears also to be common on 4.3 V6 and 350 Chev engines fitted with hydraulic lifters. Please correct me if wrong.

As the lifters all appear to be common across the chev engines can I simply buy the lifters for a small block chev engine from my local auto parts dealer?

or is there a subtle difference in the mercruiser lifters?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: '74 model 140HP Hydraulic Lifters

Ayuh,... Your local Parts House should have No problem getting new lifters for your 3.0l...
Why ask for something for a Different motor, even if they are the same...

Click on the Merc. Parts links at the top of this page,...
iboats probably sells 'em for the same money as your local guy...

mariner1900

Seaman

Hi Bondo, Thanks for the reply. Yes Iboats do have them at what appears to be a reasonable price but with the exchange rate and shipping to Australia the price then doubles and ends up 40% more then what I can buy SBC lifters for in Oz. The cost of freight really makes it uneconomical for shipping some items to Aussie. Lifters for small block chevs are readily available in Australia. So that is the reason I am going for SBC lifters.

I found a post from 2006 where Achris mentions that the lifters need to be of the "Anti Pump Up" type.

triman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not trying to hijack a thread but that's one nice donk in your avatar, a Sulzer RTA96-C unless I miss my guess.
And those complaining about boat engines being expensive to run would put a fair hole in the Visa running that engine.

mariner1900

Seaman

Triman yep you a right with the engine model/type. I think the engine produces about 90,000 HP and is on the test bed. I think the engine went into one of the new Maersk container ships. Would like to get my hands on the new Flex engines.
The ship I currently work on has a baby engine. Sulzer 5RTA52 @ 11,000HP.