Help replacing seal in gimbal bearing housing

tkrfxr

Petty Officer 1st Class
After trhee seasons in salt water, my XDP-B drives were removed for the winter. I noticed a difference in the color of the 101 lube I had applied to the U-joints (on the stbd drive, it was dark and had dirt on it, like a residue), when compared to the clean green color on the port drive. There was no rust or any evidence of water intrusion, and the bellows came out intact, without holes or abrasions.

When checking the alignment on the stbd gimbal bearing housing, the bar came out with a circular sping that I recognized as part of the seal #15 in the schematic.

What the..F! My question is, if anyone knows, can the bearing be spared, or re-used, when the seal is replaced. I know it has to come out in order to replace the seal.

Attachments

• t-shield-g-bal-bearing.JPG
    t-shield-g-bal-bearing.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Help replacing seal in gimbal bearing housing

Ayuh,... That seal does Little or Nothing,... I wouldn't worry about it...

tkrfxr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,... That seal does Little or Nothing,... I wouldn't worry about it...

You mean it just keeps my green grease from getting brown?:confused:

Bondo

Staff member

Nope,... If anything, it keeps your green grease inside the bellows,+ not leaking into the engine room...

tkrfxr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Aha!, so if my bellows fail, the seal keeps the saltwater in the bellows and out of the engine compartment....It does not seem to have water-tight capacity. In fact, it looked very flimsy, if I recall. It also costs $15, and a new bearing $50.

Bondo

Staff member

Aha!, so if my bellows fail, the seal keeps the saltwater in the bellows and out of the engine compartment....It does not seem to have water-tight capacity. In fact, it looked very flimsy, if I recall.

Nope,... It's Not water-tite,+ will still allow the ocean into your boat...
It holds back Only stray grease...

tkrfxr

Petty Officer 1st Class

So it's probably not worth replacing....

Is there any possibility of damage to the drive if it is operated without this seal? God knows when this seal failed, but I suspect it was deformed during the original install....