guess outboard year?

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Some guys wants to trade this outboard for a pressure washer I have.

he doesnt know the year, or anything about it. can anyone guess the year? hp? condition?

l_696d9205b3ef45bb898e5873c6972077.jpg

l_0f6bd9d5243444079c9fbc61b81809c7.jpg

l_1ffcd15be5b3427db895ca083a570bee.jpg

l_8d74a2aba6f047b4a5924851f163d7b1.jpg

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: guess outboard year?

64 or 65 9.5. It has the latch release in the hood. 66 and newer has the latch release in the lower cowl.:cool:

It looks like someone has put a brand new powerhead on it.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Yup, Zeph is bang on either year, looks like its just dirty

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yup, Zeph is bang on either year, looks like its just dirty

Thats what I'm thinking.

This may sound dumb, but I only like 68+ outboards. Only reason is because I can look up the parts on shop.evinrude.com

jbjennings

Captain

Just from appearance in the pics, I'd say that was a low hours motor. The skeg doesn't have a large amount of paint off it, the prop looks straight, and under the hood looks just awesome, as does the rubber stuff under the hood. I doubt anyone would put a new powerhead on it, although it sure looks nice.
I don't like 9.5's, but that looks like a nice one.

Later,
JBJ

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, I think that motor will look real nice all cleaned up. It doesn't look like it'll take much to clean it up either. Like jbjennings says, that motor must have really low hours on it, judging by the condition of the paint. It looks like it just sat and got really dusted over. I think this motor would have a much greater usability value than a resale value, myself. In otherwords, if you kept it for your own use, you'll get many good years of service.:D:D

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Thats what I'm thinking.

This may sound dumb, but I only like 68+ outboards. Only reason is because I can look up the parts on shop.evinrude.com

That 9.5 was built from 1964 thru 1973, and most of the available parts are the same over the years, so just use a later year's parts list when looking things up.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think this motor would have a much greater usability value than a resale value

I just want it for my collection.
Some people have model cars, trains, and airplanes. Some people build ships in a bottle.

I collect outboards. Is that really so weird?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

oh hell no. A lot of us here do too. I think old outboards are the best things possible, to have a collection of.:D:D:D

But yea, this old 9.5 will make a nice addition, if you want something with low hours on it.:cool:

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

oh hell no. A lot of us here do too. I think old outboards are the best things possible, to have a collection of.:D:D:D

But yea, this old 9.5 will make a nice addition, if you want something with low hours on it.:cool:

I still have an 18hp, 5hp, 4hp, and the 20hp to finish before I should start looking for a new outboard. although I don't need the pressure washer, hell, I have only used it once.

On a side note, the 6hp is done! Well...one of them...

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Another tip-off on the year is it doesn't have the vibration dampers on the sides, which appeared in 1966. 1964-65 had a vibration damper in front, which worked very poorly when intact, or not at all as soon as the plastic friction pad fell off---which was usually within the first 6 months of use. If the damper is mis-adjusted or broken, it will idle poorly because it literally shakes itself to death. The 1966-up idled a heck of a lot better with the new style dampers.

The worst thing about the 9.5 series is BRP seems determined to get them off the market by obsoleting all the parts. Really too bad, because they are good motors. But really difficult for a novice to work on if certain things need to be done. Other items are easy.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I still have an 18hp, 5hp, 4hp, and the 20hp to finish before I should start looking for a new outboard. although I don't need the pressure washer, hell, I have only used it once.

On a side note, the 6hp is done! Well...one of them...

Yea, I have a '57 18hp that is going to be next on my "restoration list" What year is yours?

aganser

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just want it for my collection.
Some people have model cars, trains, and airplanes. Some people build ships in a bottle.

You should see Chinewalker's motor wall. :D

I collect them too. Between my son and I we have 3 Johnson TD's 1 Johnson HD and 5 green tank Mercs.

If you need therapy you can seek it here:

http://www.aomci.org/

We don't think it's weird at all!

:)

Bob

bktheking

Vice Admiral

I`ve got 8 and counting, I figure I can take out a different motor for everyday of the week plus 1 as a spare, it`s cheaper than collecting muscle cars!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

plus you can have a lot more fun with an outboard than you can with a pressure washer!