help with 40 hp water problem

derwin

Recruit
I have a '79 40hp merc that I have recently acquired--The first time in the water the water dribbled out of the tell-tale.I pulled the lower unit off and inspected the impeller and sure enough--it was in sad shape.After replacing it with a new impeller, I hooked it up to muffs, but I have no water coming from the tell tale--not even a drop-I am confident I have the water pipe reinstalled in the proper place to the bottom of the engine.
any & all advice is appreciated...

crem1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: help with 40 hp water problem

Does the engine have to warm up before the cooling system is initiated, if that is not the problem then you plugged up your hose somewhere

derwin

Recruit
Re: help with 40 hp water problem

well I got it fixed! there was a blockage in the tell-tale--but the blockage was not in the hose!-first I took one of the 1/8 pipe plugs off the head & cranked the engine--had plenty of water coming out, then I took the hose hose off between the engine block & this thing on the starboard side that the other end of the hose hooks to ( I dont know what it is, but it has the tell tale hose from the engine hooked to it & the hose that goes out the cowling hooked to it-on the other side of the apperatus has fuel lines hooked to it) anyway this is where the blockage was--water coming into it but not out of it--I back flushed it with water--it spit a few times then I had good water flow--hookked everything back up and all works fine!
Thought I would update this post for others to know