Center console opinions?

Jeep Man

Commander
I'm about to start a rebuild of my tinny. I thought I had a sound design plan but after reading a few posts concerning center consoles my plan may change. I had planned on a side console, two seats side by side, aft casting deck and forward lower floor due to the fact the boat is only a 1436 semi V and stability is likely an issue. Will a center console with the second seat in front of the cc be a better and viable set up? Is there enough width to make a cc worthwhile? Widest measurement is only 52".

backlashed

Seaman
Re: Center console opinions?

I'm having the same dilemma. I'm going to make my own console/consoles either way, and one would be a lot easier than two.
I've never owned one but I've always liked the looks of a CC, but since I'm building this to be a three season fishing rig, the twin consoles are a lot easier to seal up in an enclosure. I'm still undecided.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Will a center console with the second seat in front of the cc be a better and viable set up? Is there enough width to make a cc worthwhile? Widest measurement is only 52".

Well, that's pretty much how I've set up my 1448 flatbottom, but with the console in the center it was pretty tight to get around either side.
My solution was to move the console to the starboard side. Now I have enough room to move front to rear. I keep the gas cans and second battery on the port side to keep it trimmed level.
As far as seating, the front seat works well by keeping weight forward. In addition, I run the foot-controlled trolling motor from there while casting.
This shot should show it best.

Interior008.jpg

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Very good set up arks.

I dislike small CCs, the CC takes up a great deal of room and you're always trying to safely get around it and they're typically mounted too far back.

If the boats is over around 22' it starts to become useful.

It is easier see while under way, but others in the boat don't really have a good place to sit.

I've had two CCs, one has been converted and the other one is going to be.

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

and contrary to ondarvr, i love them large or small only issue is make sure there is enough beam in the boat to safley get around it, i am converting my dual side console to a center console because i have the beam for the size of console to be used,ie i can safley walk around it with a beverage in my hand, beam and console size are the considerations, go from there.

Jeep Man

Commander

and contrary to ondarvr, i love them large or small only issue is make sure there is enough beam in the boat to safley get around it, i am converting my dual side console to a center console because i have the beam for the size of console to be used,ie i can safley walk around it with a beverage in my hand, beam and console size are the considerations, go from there.

That's my biggest concern, this is not a wide boat. I feel that the console will be nearly 2 ft. wide. That won't leave much room on each side. I don't want to end up in the drink while trying to land a laker or pike of size and I need to go from stern to bow quickly.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The difference is in where we all live, I can see why someone in FL would like them more, a CC makes much more sense there. Different type of fishing and much different weather.

There are three things I don't like about CC's

1. lack of storage space, there just aren't many places to put things out of the way and dry.

2. lack of good seating, the driver gets a good place to sit with some protection, everyone else just suffers

3. The console typically takes up too much room and if the water is rough at all it can be difficult to get around it.

4. For the type of fishing I do (mostly trolling in my current CC) the layout is all wrong, there's normally not enough room behind the console for people to sit and use the downriggers easily. With less room, people need to sit in front of the console and have a tougher time getting to the rods.

5. When the weather gets bad you get wet and cold, so does your lunch.

6. The wife and kids typically don't like them that well and won?t go out with you very often for all of the above reasons....well that can be good or bad... just depends.

I guess there were more than three.

As they get bigger its not so bad and if you live where its warmer all year, some of what I don't like is a non issue. Then if you're casting most of the time other parts of my opinion get thrown out the window too.

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

maybe thats why there as many floorplans as there are paint colors, if we all liked the same thing, this whole forum would be one page long, i can see why some may not like the cc, in ondarvr case i think a nice bertram moppie or bahia mahr would do real well, plenty of cockpit in the moppie, in the bahia mahr wife and kids can get out of the weather, btw i would like to rehab one of these two for offshore days. mines 15.5 ft i aint goin outside in a cork.

erikgreen

Captain

Personally I'm converting to a CC for reasons related to how I use the boat.

I basically want to be in the boat's centerline, back a bit from the bow to minimize impacts when I run over large waves. Plus I want the boat to balance (instead of tipping so much) when I'm alone in it.

I want the ability to reach over the side all the way around the boat without reaching over a steering console.

I'm converting a 21 foot cuddy hull into a CC, so I'll have a fair amount of space. Storage will be in spots under decks, in the bow, and along the sides under flip-up seats.

This is the sort of arrangement we use in RIB dive boats and it works well for the type of diving we do. Of course I have to build an access ladder into my hull.. can't just pull people over the side like in a RIB.

I don't fish in this boat at all.. just dive, run a towed sonar, and sight see.

Erik

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've found that its nice to be able to stay on the rail and move around the boat when you are reeling in a fish... one of the nice things about a center console is that if you keep your deck nice and orderly you can move around the whole boat and keep nice even tension on the line while you are at it. It doesn't really rain a whole lot around here though....

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I've found that its nice to be able to stay on the rail and move around the boat when you are reeling in a fish... one of the nice things about a center console is that if you keep your deck nice and orderly you can move around the whole boat and keep nice even tension on the line while you are at it. It doesn't really rain a whole lot around here though....

This works on larger CCs, but the smaller it gets the less chance there is of being able to walk around the boat and on small boats there's less need for it. As soon as you put a cooler and a couple of tackle boxes in the boat there's no room to walk around anyhow.

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ondarvr, I hear that!

I have a tacklebox, cooler, etc. built in on my little 19 footer, but my biggest issues are my girlfriend, the dog, and my buddies... "fish on" can mean an awkward conga-line around the center console if you need to get somewhere fast!

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

ive done that dance sbtom, still my floorplan of choice.

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

undoubtedly, my preference would probably differ if i lived in WA.

bronkorob

Cadet

ive got a quick question for you guys that are doing the conversion to CC. once you are left with a bare hull, what are you using to finish, and maybe reinforce the sides where the old cap used to attach? are you building some sort of subframe? or something you can at least step on to get inside? or is everyone just cutting the outside of the old cap and just using that? i got a 17 foot 68 sears that will be fun this year, but it does need a lot of work eventually. need complete new floor, and for what i want a boat for a CC would be better. just got this complete running boat for free so i wasnt going to be picky.