'86 30 hp water pump issue

jafair2

Recruit
Hi all. I must say 1st off this forum is great! It has been a tremendous help so far. I just bought a 1986 Lowe 'toon with a 30hp Johnson (j30ecdm). It has been stored since October and I am having a fit getting this thing to idle for any length of time. I am about to rebuild the carb, but my question is: Should I see water from the "pee" hose even with a sketchy, brief idle? (Usually 15-30 second at best.) I am unsure if I should go ahead and get a pump kit when I get the carb kit or not. Any advice would be appreciated and BTW, the engine looks great, new plugs, about 120lbs compression each cylinder, carb looks new etc...
Thanks in advance!!!

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: '86 30 hp water pump issue

Put an impeller in it,no questions asked unless you watched it being replaced before you bought it. 2 most critical components, motor getting proper oil/fuel mix and cooling, either not working properly will take a motor out in minutes. You should get a steady stream out the telltale within seconds of startup unless of course there is a blockage.

jafair2

Recruit
Re: '86 30 hp water pump issue

Thank you. That's what I was assuming too, just wasn't 100% sure. I am a boat motor newbie.